View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
Mr. Sandman

Its wintertime, I guess it is time to debate again....

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Rock On
What you are saying is you want to reserve all fish stocks for a small percentage of the population? That's why fringe groups like Peta and Stripers Forever always fail. The solution is regulation, and that's what the real meetings are all about.

re: public fish. Saving them for a small percentage of the pop...NO! that is what comm fisherman want. All the fish for themselves. I want no INSHORE commercial fishing whatsoever.
Large offshore species fine. go fish. I doubt your going to raise bluefin tuna and swordfish in a holding pen.

I enjoy going to fishing towns as well. But it makes me ill when I see netters in inshore waters esp. gill netters. And offshore...the complete wipe out of cod, and forage fish, management has not done much in 27 years of management...come on!! This about greed and money. The fishing technology has gotten to the point where we can and have wipe out a species.

Ya know..it really does not matter anymore. The ball has started rolling. They (comm fisherman) are giving up the business anyway, everyday. Few are re-entering it and those that are many are entering the aquaculture end of the business . It hardly pays anymore and few want to work at a job like that for next to nothing. You many put a "romantic" seaside image and "salt of the earth" spin on it but like it or not that industry is going away.

SB is a separate and special fish in my (and many others) book. Comm fishermen see nothing special in the bass. They freely admit this, even hear on this site.."it is just another fish". They see the bass as no more important then the scup or the bergal.
Yet there is a market for it so they fish it. Its about the $.
The history and plight of this species is such an "American" story...you could not make up history like this. It’s not like the scup. IMO I think the striped bass is "Americas Fish" and is more fitting then the bald eagle as its national symbol. THAT is the difference between rec and comm fisherman. It’s not about "USER GROUPS" at all. I would like it left alone from comm interests...If it is such an important food source (which it is not) the bass can be (and is) grown in controlled environments leaving the wild species alone. Rec's will gladly live with catch and release if we need to keep the species strong. Maybe we should all hunt for bald eagles...hmmmmm.

I listened to that rec talk about how the fishery is BACK! Its BACK so lets us at them! Its only fair we return to our historical fishing grounds! Why? He sites boating safety as an issue. This is complete BS. I don't recall the boat congestion related fatalities as being an issue and if it is perhaps you the state should consider reducing the number of comm lic's! Do we need 5000 comm striped bass lic's...are we not getting the quota fast enough?

Frankly, I really don't care about the EEZ or any other unpoliced zone with invisible lines drawn around it ...open or closed. I just want comm striped bass fishing to stop. For some reason comm fisherman think this desire is a personal and very greedy thing. No, I think it is the "right" thing from conservation, economic, practical, management and even moral point.

NE'ers like to grandfathered in on every damn thing. "My dad did it, his dad and his dad before...hinting therefore it is "my right" and ok for me to do it as well. Again, we got past slavery, I think we can overcome comm sb fishing.

tight lines...

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 01-09-2004 at 09:46 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote