View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 10:51 PM   #19
goosefish

Hooper sounds vaild to me: fish where I want to fish, a great bass spot is a great bass spot, amen to this.
But I hear what you are saying; especially since your a Nantucket man, or one who fishes the great rips of Nantucket. Your out there fishing federal water most of the time.

I don't know much about the EEZ thing, and here in Rhode Island where most of the bassing is taking place within three miles (Block Island has its own three mile ring too); so there's a lot of near-shore spots.

My thin understanding of the topic is that the EEZ is going to effect the wintering stocks that are hanging in the deep water off the Jeresy shore; and more impotantly off the Carolinas--here there are large schools of wintering fish that are easily caught by the commerical boys.
For the hook and line crowd I'm not sure--your case sounds sound; but you may be put "in the same group" as the ocean fisheries that are happening down south. EEZ is federal not state, so if the plan goes into effect it will encompass the entire eastern seaboard. Help me out here guys, is this right?

If it is right then I might be against the opening of federal waters to the take of Striped Bass.
Haven't done my research on this topic, mostly skate on information that I know or heard--none really from hardcore research, or trips to the library, or phone calls to capital hill.
As you said there're guys here that are more informed than we are, but we fish and we love to fish--somehow that need to be considered........................................ .......
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote