View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #25
Ken_J

also

-

Propionate is the fastest sealing method, without question. I use it for prototyping.

-

Safety: gloves, goggles/glasses - organic respirator in general

, especially in enclosed areas - keep acetone enclosed in jars/containers as much as possible. Read warnings on acetone container and take seriously. I have taken a face full of acetone fumes, its not pretty.

-

I use:

1/2 gallon mason jar 7/8 filled with Acetone. ( that ring inside the mason jar lid needs to be removed, acetone and elbow grease removes it. You dont want that ring to dissolve in your acetone and spoil the solution)

Pour something like 1/4 pound of propionate in there. Mix. Initailly it could take a few days for it to dissolve, but once its ready, it is ready forever. ( I bought a pound of the stuff initally and honestly dont recall how much was used in this size mason jar, you just have to add until you get consistncy you are looking for)

The amount of prop. you use is determined by the consistency you are looking for. Generally, people use milk consistency.

If I am doing simple prototyping, I dip and keep in for 15 minutes. Remove and hang dry for a few hours. After that, put on hardware and cast in to water, it is sealed.

If I am going to primer and paint though I would keep in container for several hours, then dry for overnight. It is really important that the solvent is evaparoted or you will have your primer/paint/topcoat ruined by acetone seeping out.

A lot of guys with prop do very thin and dip many times with shorts periods to evaporate. That is their preference. My preference is above.

PS

Also, if you want to do quick and dirty plug building for whatever reason, this method is awesome. I caught two 40" + fish last fall on a Danny that I made in 4 hours from square block of wood, no primer, no paint, no nothing except sealing. I fished that Danny for 3 weeks and it is still 100% sealed and still swims the same as the first day

awesome

gl

Last edited by Ken_J; 08-28-2009 at 07:35 AM..
Ken_J is offline   Reply With Quote