Thread: Sleep Apnea
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
bart
Red Eye Jedi

As much as it sucks to sacrifice something you love doing, I would seriously consider not pulling all-nighters. I have made a lot of life-changes in the last year and one thing I have really noticed is that pulling all-nighters REALLY messes me up. I used to do 3-4 a week, but I don't think my body can take the stress anymore. Earlier in the season at the Ditch, I fished something like 16 hrs straight one day/night and then 12 the next day and was completely screwed up in so many ways after. I used to do that weekly during the fall run in Rhody. It was hard for me to come to grips with the fact that i can't go nearly as hard as I used to, and I'm only 29. But I have found other things that give my life balance and I'm much happier/healthier for it.

If you are trying to lose weight, it comes down to diet. I lost 65lbs since Dec. and feel fantastic. My diet consisted of vegetables, fish, nuts, and synthetic protein for 4 months. No dairy, pasta, alcohol(not an issue for you). Yes it sucks, but I am so glad i did it, and now I'm eating more of what I want(actually trying to bulk up a bit). And I know this works because I lost 70 lbs back in '08, but I returned to my unhealthy lifestyle and put it all back on in a few years.

Also, cardio is obviously good for your heart, but you won't see physical results unless you are doing strength training, lifting free-weights, etc. Start out slow. It is frustrating in the beginning because you aren't where you want to be, but if you stick with it you will get the results you are looking for.

Hopefully this is helpful. I didn't have sleep apnea(as far as I know), but I do know I snored like a bastid, didn't have energy, and didn't sleep well... and in general,I felt like absolute dog chit. That has all changed. Good luck....
bart is offline   Reply With Quote