View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
When I was in the service we pulled into Germany for 3 weeks, they had a program their that let German families take us into there homes while we were there. They treated us great......I'd say they respected us...there was no envy. They truly welcomed us into there homes. I stayed with one family for 3 days and it was one of the most memorable times of the trip. I remember they had a B'day party for the father....we sat around the table singing and drinking Schnaaps...the mother was the last one standing.....man could she drink the Schnaaps.

I saw the same in Norway, Belgium, and the Netherlands.

France and Spain....not so much.

as for the Loudmouth Travelers....there were some guys on my ship that were an embarassment if you ask me....being down right loud, obnoxious #^&#^&#^&#^&heads....
I was overgeneralizing when I said the rest of the world. And it was more an observation based on "official" views--media, politicos, cultural elites, academia--uppercrusts that supposedly own the real skinny on how their society thinks. Of course, that's BS. The regular folks, as in our country, are often out of step with the higher mucketymucks. For several years after WWII, most of the common Europeans had a high regard for Americans, especially the military. As a serviceman, especially one with the friendly, playful but respectful manners that you have, you would have been treated well by most anybody, but especially by regular people.

As far as America being "respected," I think that has been more of a political ball to toss around rather a than significant factor. To say that "foreign" respect, or the respect of the rest of the world was damaged by this or that president is probably more of a propaganda tool than a reality. If you were to go on a vacation to Germany, or Belgium or the Netherlands today, being who you are, I think you would be treated well as you were before. If you acted like an ass, you would not be liked. Your money and manners would be welcomed and "respect" would be reciprocated.