View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
Chalk up another one for our great healhcare system. The hospitals are so overwhelmed with complaints that they cannot keep up with the demand. The only time you get immediate treatment in a emergency room is if you are carted in by an ambulance. And sometimes that is iffy.
I had an occasion to bring a neighbor to the hospital after a surgical drain that was put in misfunctioned and she was bleeding. When we arrived I was told not to ever take anyone to the ER, but to call for an ambulance. They have first preferance. Makes sense, but what about the pneumonia case?
My wife has worked in a hospital for 33 years and knows what is going to be treated first, based on severity of illness and so on. She wouldn't take an ambulance to the ER unless she was absolutely bedridden. Its not fair to the people who were worse off than her. I just wished she got treated at her own hospital where she works. It would have been mush easier. The high powered antibiotic (levaquill ??) she is on is giving her tremors, nightmares, and anxiety though. She is better today. Her primary says to her in his office yesterday, this is after he missed the diagnosis since December, "I'd like to see that xray, I'll bet you don't have Pneumonia!" His arrogance/ignorant manner is is detestable to say the least.
Just get through this with him and then he is toast.

The ER wait was 17 hours the day before we were there. Like I said I felt worse for the poeple who were sitting there by themselves with no one to turn to.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote