View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #54
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”

—George Orwell, 1984

In a more complete definition, Orwell defines doublethink as, "To know and to not know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic…" I doubt that you would consider Trump capable of being "conscious of compete truthfulness." so can't conceive of how he would even be capable of doublethink. Nor do I think that he considered his opinions to be lies, but believed they were true.

So here we are. TrumpWorld insists that we believe:

Trump saved America; but he is not responsible for the deaths of 90,000 Americans.

These are not contradictory opinions, so are not Orwellian doublethink.

The pandemic was the worst thing that ever happened to America; but it was an over hyped scam.

These are not contradictory opinions since "it" (the scam) does not refer to the pandemic, but to the Dems blaming Trump for it. So, again, it is not Orwellian doublethink.

It’s the Democrats’ fault that we shut down the country; but it was Trump who saved millions by shutting down the country.
Again, not contradictory opinions since the reference was not to the same "shut down" in each. One, the Dems "fault," I'm guessing, referred to various Dem governors' excessive enforcement. The other was Trumps call for a national quarantine at the request of Birx and Fauci.

Are you, as in part of Orwell's above definition, "conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies" when you fabricated the above "contradictions"?