View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Saltheart

I also think graphite is way better. If you get a graphite rod with a slow taper , it will perform like a glass rod but be much lighter.

One big issue I alway see if that people want just a little more range on the lure weights than the blanks offer. This is human nature. You could have a thousand more blank models available and people would still want one that will do 1 oounce more or 1 ounce less than the rod can really do!

Crafty , I would look at the Lami CSB series. Its got several rod that do about what you are describing.

Here a quick explanantion I have posted before on the SOL rodboard but maybe not here that will help in rod selection

The rod modulus is comprised of two parts. The materials modulus of elasticity and the rods cross section modulus called its moment of initia. It can have a crosswise component and a lengthwise component.

The material modulus is often quoted by the manufacturer as a rod attribute like the higher modulus graphite used in the XRA models , its a material property. However , that material modulus can be super high and not effect the rod much or it can be super low and you can still have a very fast action rod. The missing part is the rods modulus caused by its geometry.

In general , if a rod has a big difference between its tip and butt diameter , the rod will have fast action and will stack up quickly as its flexed. The more you flex it , the further down the bend goes but as the bend goes down the rod length the cross sectional modulus gets very high because the diameter increases. That's why it "stacks up".

When you look at the glass rods , you are seeing a big effect of the materials elastic modulus because there is a big difference between the modulus of elasticity in gless and graphite rods. graphite of course being way higher. If you only consider the material , you need to go to the low modulus glass. What you are looking for in the glass rods can be found in the grafite rods by looking for rods with a small change between the tip and butt diameters. Now the other thing that contributes to the sectional modulus is the thickness of the wall of the blank. So in addition to looking for a small taper in the rod , you want to also look for rods with thinner walls and low materials modulus.

A great rod to show the effects when both factors are high is an Allstar 1209. The rod has a big taper and a thick wall. Therefore its a pool cue. A good example of the other extreme is steelhead rods like the GSH Lami series. They have some 11 1/2 feet long but there is very little difference between the tip and but diameter and they bend gradually all the way down their length.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote