View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
So you justify religion because people feel like they get something out of it? This feeling is similar to that of a sick person who has been cured with a placebo. I just don't see the need for it. Desperation has also been cited for a sudden religious affiliation. The church has done well with such tactics,they are to be commended.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I justify religion because (1) it is expressly protected in our Bill Of Rights with zero ambiguity. I kind of like our constitution. (2) religion has been the source of incalculable good (and of course some awful things too), for both the faithful who take comfort in their beliefs, as well as the needy who benefit from the generosity of the faithful.

"Desperation has also been cited for a sudden religious affiliation"

Sure. If it makes the desperate feel comforted, why is that bad?

"I just don't see the need for it. "

Fortunately for you, in this country, no one is forcing you to buy into it.

"The church has done well with such tactics,they are to be commended"

Yes, that's all we do, is take advantage of the desperate. We don't do anything else. A speck of intellectual honesty is way beyond your capabilities.

Dangles, just know that as much as you clearly despise religion, if you or anyone you care about is ever sick and can't afford care, any Catholic hospital will treat you for free. If you are ever hungry, you can get a free meal at a Catholic food bank. If you ever need a place to stay, you can get a free bed at a Catholic shelter. Those bastards!