View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #35
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"If I wanted America to fail I'd oppose investment in mass transportation to ensure millions of cars sat idling in the gridlock of city traffic wasting away the same natural resources that power our factories and heat our homes."

If I wanted America to fail, I'd continue to spend zillions of dollars which we do not have, on mass transportation systems which almost no one wants.

Spence, once again, your ideology is blinding you from the reality. Those people in their cars LIKE being in their cars. They're not rejecting mass transportation because it's not modern enough. They're rejecting mass transportation because 99% of working Americans prefer the comfort and convenience of driving their own cars. You're not going to make more people choose mass transportation by making trains and buses more efficient or slick-looking. Sorry to interrupt yet another ideologically-fueled rant, with facts.

The personal automobile is one of history's great providers of freedom. Thanks to the auto, most of us chose to move away from the cities, and out into the suburbs.
Close, but nearly enough hyperbole.

If I wanted America to fail I'd convince young men the Automobile was the essence of freedom and as they fled our cities I'd let banks give out cheap loans so everyone could afford McMansion's to deplete our forests and pump billions of tons of toxins into our air as aging electrical grids strain to keep up with over sized air conditioners chilling empty rooms.

As the suburbs consumed the farm land I'd genetically modify the food and pump livestock with drugs to make them more productive.

If I wanted America to fail, I'd tell the people this was progress and that the free market was providing for their future.

Jim, do you got the prescription???

-spence