View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #52
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I don’t have the models. i know what the predictions were that have been released by the scientists. as i said, i have little doubt we need to change our ways, but as a scientist, when someone else is laughably wrong that consistently, they will
eventually lose credibility. i’m long, long past the point where
skeptical. 40 years ago we were facing an ice age, then global warming, then they defined it in the most vague possible term so that every possible result validated their theory...climate change.

i have solar panels on my house, and i spend more time in the woods getting dirty, and more
time on water getting soaked, than 98% of the planet, at least before we had kids that is. and i love animals more than 99.99% of the planet,,and cherish my kids futures more than 99.99% of the planet. so i’m heavily invested in a healthy planet .

but given their track record of making ridiculously wrong predictions, how can you not be skeptical? al fire hit amazingly wealthy off this, and he doesn’t seem to be concerned, the only thing he’s unplugged in the last 20 years is his treadmill. if i was that wrong that often, no one would
listen to me. and they’d be right to laugh in my face. it’s still very very skeptical, because we are in unchartered territory here. we’ve never been in this path, so we can’t know what the effects will be.

accurate models ( like predicting how many times a coin will
turn up heads, or predicting mortality based on age), rely on a large set of data points to use to predict patterns and results, based on past observations. with this kind of climate change, we have no historical data to look at, this is all new. not easy to model
that way.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Last points on this, I have work to do tonight, as I stay home and hang with the kids on Thursday's in the summer. If you provide the actual predictions by scientists and sources you meant I will reengage.

Good for you on all that. We are looking at solar when we need to replace our roof, but not yet.

We are not in uncharted territory in that there have been warm periods, with different causes (and times when CO2 was way higher for geologic reasons in the past). The geologic record provides a wealth of information to compare to the historic data and make predictions about the future. The track record, which you call laughable of the models in the last decade or to in particular has been very good. Again, show me what you meant otherwise and we can discuss them.

As far as global cooling, see the link below. Check out the number of scientific publications that show warming vs cooling. This idea that scientific consensus was global cooling has lingered because of some famous articles in a few different pop media magazines.

https://skepticalscience.com/What-19...l-cooling.html

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 07-17-2019 at 07:33 PM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"