Thread: Safety
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Safety

Probably the most important aspect of offshore boating for all of us. What do you guys do to ensure of a safe return trip home. For me it starts with a detailed float plan that I leave at home or with someone that can be contacted in case of emergency. In it I leave where I am going GPS numbers, the vessel, the number of crew, my cell phone number and hailing name on the water, and my expected return time.

I also bring along a well stocked first aid kit, extra handheld gps, vhf radio, cell phone, and my epirb. I also bring along a map of the area, extra batteries, water and food. Extra dry clothes and early and late in the year I have my survival suit. I alwasy carry on my person a knife and a quick cut tool . It looks like a razor blade inside a plastic j shaped holder.

The boat has an extra prop, spare spark plugs and 2 racors along with a tool kit. Extra oil is also on the boat.

What do you do to prepare for the worst and/or ensure safe return.

Most importantly I bring a respect for the ocean and limit challenging unsafe situations. It is better to be overprepared than not prepared at all.

I also try to buddy boat in case a situation arises and assisstance is needed.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote