Thread: Fishing reports
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #106
Rockfish9

last night was as nice as weather gets in mid September...warm... light enough wind to keep the bugs away but not interfere with the plan...

last nights plan was to fish from sunset until low tide in the river... the area I was fishing is an old side channel that boarders the flats..it was the original channel for the river before the Army Corps re routed the river to make it straighter ( long before my time) and a sand bar isolates it from the main channel until you near the basin ( original river exit)
there's plenty of fish up on the flats...if .. you like playing in the day care.. because it was a week night ( work at 6 the next day) I have to "stick and stay and make it pay"..I'm also dealing with a hyper extended patella tendon in my right knee..so I spent the night trolling eels listening to the sox game sitting on my keister...
an hour before the bottom of the tide... just as the Sox were putting the final touch on the A's.. I could hear big splashes out near the channel... the whole length of the run... at first I thought it might be seals... but there were a lot of them.. and none of the usual grunting... ocassionally you could hear a student pop the herring drops out near the channel....My heart started pounding .. those HAD to be big fish smashing bait. at the end of the run I quietly motored up to make another run ..this time on the main channel side of the bar...I could still hear the occasional explosions...I started the electric motor and I peered intently into the shadows of the lights near the mooring field looking for the cause of all the disturbance...imagine my surprise when a 5' sturgeon jumped clear of the water banging off my boat...Its not uncommon to see sturgeon in the river... I see them often.. but NEVER this many... for two hours they jumped and played all around me..I've never seen so many... I thought for sure I was into the mother load of large hungry bass...it was pretty exciting and I caught enough fish{Bass} ( biggest was about 10lbs)to make me realize how special some nights can be...catching a trophy is just a bonus.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote