Thread: Was He or Not
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #98
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It could be interpreted as a sign of his mental state.

His words clearly express his mental state. If they were incoherent, that might be "a sign" which might be interpreted as a confused mental state. But that would have to be "bolstered," as you put it, by a pattern of incoherence. As well as a pattern of strange behaviors. His statements were coherent, and his actions coincided with his words. Where is the "sign" of an irrational or mentally disturbed state?

I never said his peers were showing outright venom, that was a broader remark.

Yes, the "broader context" of "outright venom" supposedly spewed by others, were mostly reiterations of remarks by his peers. So the "broader context" of "outright venom" was quite homogenous amongst his peers and non-peers. I would assume, then, that his peers were showing "outright venom."

As for Rice's words. I think she was just trying to state that signing up to serve your country is certainly an honorable thing that deserves merit. She could have followed with...and then something went wrong, but we're not really sure what happened. Perhaps this was implied.

Refer to what Jim in CT said.

Truth can certainly be venomous depending on how it's used.

Venomous, in the context of human discourse, means "malicious, malignant, spiteful, etc. Are you saying that those who believe they are telling the truth about Bergdahl, including his peers, are being malicious, malignant, spiteful? Could you please explain how that works?

A bit of truth is often used to mask a bigger lie.

-spence
Refer to what scottw said.

BTW, is "outright" an absolute?