View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
wheresmy50

If you're going in the ocean, I'd stay away from a SIK. I don't know what you don't like about SOTs, but one thing to appreciate is the ability to get back in the thing if you ever tip. SIKs are a little more stable and a little faster, but you may not be able to get back in and in cold water that could kill you. I use a SOT, and if it's choppy, I'm completely soaked from paddling. I don't know how you could use a SIK without a skirt. With a skirt, you have far less options for storage and now you've got one more thing that's going to try to drown you. With SOTs, storage is easy and abundant.

I have a few of the Wilderness Systems Tarpons and have no complaints. The 140 gets a little water in the footwell, but nothing to worry about. I've had it for a while and over the years have added stuff. Most recently a FF/GPS.

Once you get it, you'll need to install a trolley system for your anchor and drift sock so you're not hitting the waves sideways. There will be a bunch of other stuff too, so don't blow your whole budget on the yak itself.

Don't bother with those 2 pound kayak anchors. Just go to Wal mart and get a 5lb river anchor. They're cheaper and work better in wind.

Guys like rudders.

That's about it for tips. Good luck.

Article 1, Section 9:
No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote