View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I have the worldview that if we are to maintain our position in the world we need to assist others, and that closing ourselves off will do little but ensure our eventual demise.
Perhaps you could choose?
I did see this which reminded me of some discussions here.
One version of Buddhist hell posits a grand ballroom with tables holding bowls of delicious steaming rice. But the people in hell have three-foot chopsticks affixed as extensions of their arms, making eating impossible. Unable to feed themselves, they starve.

Heaven, according to this story, is the exact same place — but the people feed each other.
You are often very specific and definite in your criticism of Trump. Especially in not fudging when you repeat and repeat that he is a con artist. Some might accuse you of fudging an answer here. I won't do that. It appears to me that this is the way you typically answer a tough question. A personal characteristic of being super cautious.

It's not a trick question. It's not a trap or a gotcha. You brought up what you consider is a Trump dilemma re Taiwan vs China. If China tries to militarily take Taiwan, Which of the two choices you posed do you think Trump should do?

I'll make it easier for you, I'll tell you what I would do. I'm not influenced by your Buddhist parable. I see nothing in it to help since I don't think pacifism would stop China. And there is a big and frightful difference between merely assisting others, and going to war to protect them.

Push come to shove, I would go to war with China if it tried to forcefully take Taiwan. Of course that requires a lot of stuff besides gung ho lets dance. Warnings, getting alliances on board, Congress, etc., etc.

I'll ask you again. What do you think Trump should do?