Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-19-2002, 07:56 AM   #1
thill

SOURCE for aluminum stock for mold-making

FINALLY found a good source for mold-making stock. GREAT prices, too. Example: Aluminum plate, 3/4" thick x 2" wide X 8" long - $3

Screw on a hinge and wooden handles, and with a ruler, a sharpie and a Dremel tool, you can make anything you want!

Tip: While you are making the mold, get some modeling clay and squeeze it in the mold to see exactly how your creation is coming along. Go slow, and you will get the results you want.

I'm going to start out nice and easy, and make a jigging spoon/trolling sinker mold. Then I'll make a jighead shape that I have been thinking of for a while. From there, who knows? I guess it depends on how successful those first two projects are. Much easier to use than plaster or cement molds, and cheap!

Email me at tonyhill@tidalwave.net if you want the website.

TH
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:13 PM   #2
Breezy Kid

Sounds great thill, lot cheaper then those $20 Do-It molds. :-}
Breezy Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:50 AM   #3
thill

Interesting post, BK. ACTUALLY, if a blank do-it mold is only $20, that would DEFINITELY be the way to go. I've only seen them for about $30 + shipping.

Think about it...
By the time you pay $3 + $3 for the two sides, plus $5 shipping, plus a $3 hinge, plus $2 wood handles, plus the labor needed to put it all together... a blank do-it mold for $20 is a bargain!

Although it IS kind of fun making something from scratch.

TH
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 02:22 PM   #4
Jigman

You might also check your local scrap metal place. I picked up a couple of pieces, 18 inches long, 3/4 thick and 4 inches wide for about $3 if I remember right. Cut sections, line them up and go to town. If you are just doing simple molds for sinkers (I did some up for plug weights), you can get by without the hinge. Before you mill or dremel the sides, drill matching holes through both pieces and use bolts to line up the halves. Slap the two sections together and use a clamp (vise will also work) to hold them in place when pouring lead. For more complex molds, the Do It blanks work great as they are already lined up. Also better if you plan to do a lot of casts as the aluminum blocks will become too hot to hold rather quick.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote