Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
Clammer

JUST WONDERING ???

I pay many of mu bills by check .. its also required in order to get reimbursed by the banks ;;
I know that many places tell you to just sign it ;;

I went to Wally Wolrd the other nite & paid by check ;;
>> the clerk told me to put nothing on it / including me signature /she ran it threw the machine & then I signed where you sign for a debit or credit card . No ID was asked for . My check was returned to me & I left with my unsigned check & what I had purchased ...
ARE Times changing [that quick ????

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

First i heard of it, Mike. Maybe they scan your account # and turn it into a debit.

But, without ID ?????????????

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I paid a co-pay at the doctors office last time I went by check....made out the check, signed it and they scanned it and gave me back the check. Paid for. Very strange...technology is flying by us!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Pretty soon you won't even need to go to a cashier....

They will be giving you a hand held scanner when you walk in. You put in your Debit card info and as you shop you scan the barcode/Security Tag in as you put it in your carriage. The when you leave the store you make the sale final and turn in the scanner.

Think about it.....no Cashiers, unit contains GPS with searchable Item list so no need for floor people.

Night crew comes in and does the stocking off hours and all you need is maybe a customer service desk.....its coming

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Always gonna need people TDF. Someone has to fix the machines screw ups! You can't get better than a human! How do you like it when you call somewhere to get a question answered and all you get is a comp voice?? Same thing...I hate it!

Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Pretty soon you won't even need to go to a cashier....

They will be giving you a hand held scanner when you walk in. You put in your Debit card info and as you shop you scan the barcode/Security Tag in as you put it in your carriage. The when you leave the store you make the sale final and turn in the scanner.

Think about it.....no Cashiers, unit contains GPS with searchable Item list so no need for floor people.

Night crew comes in and does the stocking off hours and all you need is maybe a customer service desk.....its coming
That's gonna be fantasic for the unemployment rates!!!!!! Hooray for technology!!!!!

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Didn't say whether it was a good thing or a bad thing......just something that is probably coming.

Look at self serv checkouts......used to be 4 people for 4 registers......with those its 1 person for 4 registers.

and Don't shoot the messenger

Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Didn't say whether it was a good thing or a bad thing......just something that is probably coming.

Look at self serv checkouts......used to be 4 people for 4 registers......with those its 1 person for 4 registers.

and Don't shoot the messenger
I'd never shoot the messenger. I actually like the self serve check outs because I don't have to deal with a human dope who can't scan a barcode without help from the manager.

I just find it ironic that with all the advances in technology to make life easier, we're taking jobs away from people by either replacing them with a machine or moving the job overseas.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Clammer

All that,s fine > BWTF is the proof that it was I with MY check book ?????????????

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
All that,s fine > BWTF is the proof that it was I with MY check book ?????????????
My Guess is the clerk was probably being lazy and should have asked you for it.

Then again you do have an Honest Face.....

Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

You're right TDF, bar code/scanner is coming to a supermarket near you.
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
Raven

Talking WTF there's Clam truck's

Quote:
%$%$%$%$en

Always Bitchen Bout somethin ain't yah....

You above all need no stinkin I.D. Clammer

Your freakin Famous fer christs sake... Geesch

Clam trucks are all over the place....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

How the heck would I know Clammer I hate walmart.
I wonder how you know they didn't take out 100 bucks instead of 10???? ya, technology has passed us dinosaurs by.
I like cash too, but I guess it's just as fast as a debit card.
That check thing seems weird to me.

I know that debit cards get compromised quite often. My wife works at a bank and has to deal with 3500 cards sometimes that were compromised by some business were hackers or crooks got a hold of some numbers or whatever. Then they all have to get mailed new cards. Thieves suck.

I use a credit card instead of those debit cards.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Take the scanners a step further....they could have a thumbprint scanner on them for security. print don't match the account....No Sale

Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman 6 View Post
You're right TDF, bar code/scanner is coming to a supermarket near you.
They are already here! Been at my local supermarkets for about a year and a half. Nobody uses them......nobody!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Yep....the basic ones have been around awhile....nobody uses them because people have an inate fear of change and Technology.

as they get smaller and the client base becomes more prone to using technology they will get used more. 10-15 years from now all those annoying kids texting and twittering will be the Moms and Dads that are doing the food and clothes shopping.

Just think Larry.....you could go to Dunks, get your own coffee, scan your thumb, take it directly out of your bank account.....and never have to deal with the person behind the counter or even reach into your waders to pay for it w/ cash.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
gldnbear93

Quote:
Yep....the basic ones have been around awhile....nobody uses them because people have an inate fear of change and Technology.

as they get smaller and the client base becomes more prone to using technology they will get used more. 10-15 years from now all those annoying kids texting and twittering will be the Moms and Dads that are doing the food and clothes shopping.

Just think Larry.....you could go to Dunks, get your own coffee, scan your thumb, take it directly out of your bank account.....and never have to deal with the person behind the counter or even reach into your waders to pay for it w/ cash.
Of course a bad case of bass thumb might screw that up and take it out of someone elses account. Unless.....Larry didn't catch any fish that day.....

Go Bears!
gldnbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
Raven

Talking

Quote:

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

Arm all the passengers.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #20
JohnnyD

Who uses checks any more?

My checkbook used to come out once a month, solely to pay my student loans. Now that I have BillPay setup through Bank of America, BoA automatically writes the check and sends it off every month without me having to think about it.

I don't think I've written a check in 7 or 8 months.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #21
Jenn

Quote:

They dont give a crap! As long as it clears, their selling product and getting paid! I have used my hubbies credit card (yes with his name on it) and not been questioned!

This is why you need to safeguard your own credit/debit cards & checks. Dont expect anyone else to give a crap.

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #22
fishaholic18
Finally

Checks???? WTF is that.... Checks went out with the dinosaur....

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #23
Clammer

Maybe sooooooo /but you have no problem cashing mine

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #24
MotoXcowboy

JUST WONDERING.....what do you guys think of this?

America Freedom to Fascism - 1:49:17 - Jan 1, 2007
freedomtofascism.com - www.freedomtofascism.com
(322 Ratings) Rate:

The Film Determined to find the law that requires American citizens to pay income tax, producer Aaron Russo ("The Rose," "Trading Places"...all » The Film Determined to find the law that requires American citizens to pay income tax, producer Aaron Russo ("The Rose," "Trading Places") set out on a journey to find the evidence. This film which is neither left, nor right-wing is a startling examination of government. It exposes the systematic erosion of civil liberties in America since 1913 when the Federal Reserve system was fraudulently created. Through interviews with U.S. Congressmen, a former IRS Commissioner, former IRS and FBI agents and tax attorneys and authors, Russo connects the dots between money creation, federal income tax, and the national identity card which becomes law in May 2008. This ID card will use Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chips which are essentially homing devices used to track people. This film shows in great detail and undeniable facts that America is moving headlong into a fascist police state. Wake up! ------ Dear Lovers of Liberty, the struggle is just beginning! Get ready... Are you aware by May of 2008 the law will require you to carry a national identification card? Are you aware that there are plans being developed to have all Americans embedded with a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) computer chip under their skin so they can be tracked wherever they go? Are you aware the Supreme Court has ruled that the government has no authority to impose a direct unapportioned tax on the labor of the American people, and the 16th Amendment does not give the government that power?«
MotoXcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote