Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 12-31-2002, 10:37 PM   #1
BEETLE

How can I get rid of Coyotes

With the recent snows, I discovered that I have Coyotes making regular trips through my property and into bordering woods. Some of my neighbors have spotted two together, so I was wondering what would be the best way to get rid of them.
I do have a 22 rifle, but am in a thick residential area, and i'm within earshot of the Police station . I have a bow, but don't think I have a chance at night with it - when they seem to be out moving around.
Do I try to poison, - live trap + relocate, - call an exterminator .
I'd like to get rid of them, there's some little kids (elementary school also) and pets all around.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Happy + healthy 2003 to all.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #2
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Wink

LEGAL: Use subsonic .22 ammo. The old nickel-plated RWS stuff is my favorite. Zero for 75 feet and you should be fine (note that the bullet drop in a larger subsonic hollow-point round is dramatically different from a standard or high velocity round).

NOT-SO-LEGAL: (for informational purposes only). Once could theoretically:

*Core out a potato and stick on the end of your rifle barrel.
*Take a two liter soda bottle, cut a hole in the bottom, and fill the sides of the two liter bottle with shaving cream. Attach contraption to barrel.

Note that these theorietical field-expedient devices, attached to your barrel, will affect barrel harmonics and thus bullet placement.

In any instance, aim for the head.

-WW
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
Canalratt1

I live in Weymouth also and know there are quite a few in town. Since dischargeing a firearm is illegal around Weymouth your kind of in a Catch-22 situation. A bow would seem the best way but haveing the neighbors see one drop dead in there backyards may cause some problems. A dieing rabbit call works best even during daylight hours. One tip do not leave any pets loose, outside garbage, dishes of pet food or even birdseed. If the food sources are removed the coyotes will move on. These coyotes are mangy and just skin and bones.

Canalratt1
Canalratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
Billyboy

Open window. Now back up into room so barrel is not sticking out of window. Muzzle blast will contained in the house and not outside, much quieter. Not that I have ever done that
Billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 01:43 PM   #5
Duke41
got gas?

try marinating a steak in antifreeze. Then put it outback and he should get posioned after eating it. Try not to eat the steak yourself
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
BEETLE

I know I have one house in the nieghborhood that have been feeding the damn things. Two guys tree hugging yuppie types from the city . If they see one with an arrow sticking out of it - they might whine a bit - but most likely the hunt would be at night. None of the other neighbors would mind, they want them gone as well, though they may not like firearms going off near their homes in the middle of night.
I suspect they are feasting on some local wildlife which I know is abundant in the woods behind my house. Also followed tracks (cat I think in full gallup!) to a tree - followed by coyote tracks.
I'd rather pop them with lead - but if anyone hears the shot -- well who knows what that could lead into.
I talked to a country type working here at the jobsite - he said back home in Georgia they soak peices of sponge in bacon or chicken fat, these won't digest when eaten, and consequently kills them. Or leave bowls of anti freeze out for them as well.
The marinated steak idea sounds do-able also.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
Goose

This might help ya.http://www.coyotegods.com/ubb/forum.shtml
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:04 AM   #8
Jersey_Jim

Careful Beetle

That Steak and antifreeze & food thing will also snuff Dogs & Cats !

Jersey Jim
Jersey_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Raven

drink allot of beer or lemonaide then piss anywhere you don't want the coyotes to go.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

season ended saturday at midnight. you can't touch them for a while . The only way anything can be done is if an EPO or Animal controol declares them a danger and then you will have to pay to have them removed by a licensed professional

IMO your best to remove this post and do what you have to quietly.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
zacs
D'oh

LOL. It was posted in 2002!

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Slingah

Raven is having fun posting on old threads..lol..

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote