Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-23-2002, 11:28 AM   #1
MountainBreeze

Question Penn Slammer 460 Spinning Reel...

What are your thoughts on the Penn Slammer 460 Spinning Reel?

The 8' PENN Newport rod and Power Graph II PG3000 reel are good for the docks / piers but it just doesn't give me the distance others are getting w/ longer rods. Some of the guys were doubling my casts this weekend and they said is was due to rod length.

I'd also like to get a reel that will hold up to the salt water better as well as having a larger spool capacity - in case I'm ever lucky enough to hook up with one that wants to run.

Can I get your thougts on the 460 spinning reel on a 10' St.Croix graphite rod? Good / bad / others???

Thanks folks,
Rob
MountainBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 02:25 PM   #2
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

i think that reel might be a little small for that rod! i don't have any first hand experience with the reel, but have heard good things about it. i think even the larger size, 560 i think, might be a little small for a 10' rod. you could probably do ok with the 560 on a 9'er.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:30 AM   #3
MountainBreeze

Thanks t.

When you say "small for that rod," do you mean the weight of the reel, size of the reel or its spool capacity?

Thanks again,
Rob
MountainBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 07:09 AM   #4
kayaman
bass addict

To get more distance you need a rod you can load up on.... you don't want it to be too stiff. Length doesn't always = distance. St. Croix makes an excellent rod for casting and you should be able to get away with an 8 or 9 footer. ps.. I've found the larger Shimano reels to be an excellent choice. Baitrunner 6500 might be too big, try the 4500 or 5500. They are smooth running and have a two drag system.

Last edited by kayaman; 09-24-2002 at 07:18 AM..

one more cast.....

don't forget to take your trash home
kayaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 05:01 PM   #5
ron816

the penn slammer reel is a very nice reel, the size is a problem, it's a physically small reel, not a good match for a 10 ft st croix, better balance on an 8 or 9 foot rod, the balance on a ten will not be right.
ron816 is offline   Reply With Quote