Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Gamers ....

If your going on a mass killing spree ,(internet) you have to be prepared . I was watching my nephew throw together these machines . Him and my 2 sons ordered all the parts on the web and built these beast . Cost about $1100 with 22" flatscreen .. If you could buy these at say best buy it would be about 3k but they don't have machines like this . They got all the parts here..
http://www.newegg.com/ under "computer hardware" ,, Pic your own mother board ,, fans ,, hard drive ,, power supply ,,other stuff .. Sure John R is all over this .. My nephew was some kind of tech support in cambridge.. Guess most that work is done in India now . He's out of work now ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	32295   Click image for larger version

Name:	case.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	32296   Click image for larger version

Name:	motherboard.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	32297  
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

putting it together ... as a kid I was challenged with line in ,,,line out ,,
booted it up and loaded software .. thing cranks ,, wish I had one ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faninstal.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	32298   Click image for larger version

Name:	motherinstall.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	32299   Click image for larger version

Name:	powersupply.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	32300  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
FishermanTim

All you need now is a lifetime supply of cheetos and mountain dew, and you'll never have to leave the house ever again.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Uhmm - yeh, I've been building since '94-95. Other than laptops I've only bought one completed system, and I sold it

Eddy - just today's version of dropping a V-8 in place of the old straight six. Actually, a lot easier.

My current rig is like that one's older brother using the equivalent parts of 9 months ago

So did they go Dual or Quad Core?

Quote:
I think ya should be nice, and help them out...
you could hydro-orientate that for them...
surely be appreciated...
Umm, for them - "hydro-orientate" means putting liquid cooling on the CPU and highly overclocking

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
i know i can stuff a v8 where a 6 usta live...been there, done that...but
i ain't going inside the box of many puzzles...nope, no way...
If you can do one - you can do the other...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

That case is the Balls,
looks like they only have 1 fan, I would add more air
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

So did they go Dual or Quad Core?
Dual Core .. guess thier not that hard core ..

Umm, for them - "hydro-orientate" means putting liquid cooling on the CPU and highly overclocking
They almost went liquid cooled on the fan , but my nephew don't trust them .. 3 fans ... 2 in the box and one in the middle .. You know I'm stupified .. everytime you ask me something I gotta run up and ask .. My nephew got into this hardware stuff because of gaming . He was always tweaking his computer with new parts .. I imagine you can take classes for this stuff .. just enough to build your own system ..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
That case is the Balls,
looks like they only have 1 fan, I would add more air
Depends - if they are not OC'ing very much or at all, they are fine (depending on what else runs hot like the Northbridge perhaps - not familiar with that mb)

I love my old Antec Lanboy case (4 years now on its second MB??) and my Thermaltake Lanbox: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133045 I have the Lanbox running a GA-MA78GM-S2H and a X2 BE-2400 Brisbane at low watts for servin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
They almost went liquid cooled on the fan , but my nephew don't trust them .. 3 fans ... 2 in the box and one in the middle .. You know I'm stupified .. everytime you ask me something I gotta run up and ask .. My nephew got into this hardware stuff because of gaming . He was always tweaking his computer with new parts .. I imagine you can take classes for this stuff .. just enough to build your own system ..
I got my start in PC systems as a result of gaming. My "career" is a result of trying to get 615K of ram available to play a game called Harpoon II

Last edited by JohnR; 03-02-2009 at 05:27 PM..

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

hard drive is 650 gigabyte
4 gigs of ram
I use to play Ultima Online .. not the big game ,, a small shard .. I was a GM mace fighter, bow fletcher, miner, blacksmith,fisherman . I was looking over the kids shoulder, next thing I know I had a guy..Scary how long you can sit on your arse playing .. think I played 8 hrs. straight once .. You don't have a life but who cares .. I'm afraid to play those games anymore . When I was GM fisherman I liked it better than fishing . Fighting sea monters,,pulling in treasure chest .. maps .. selling fish ... insanity ,, Hey ,, Don't res kill me I'll call guards..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
JohnR

Quote:
hard drive is 650 gigabyte
4 gigs of ram
I use to play Ultima Online .. not the big game ,, a small shard .. I was a GM mace fighter, bow fletcher, miner, blacksmith,fisherman . I was looking over the kids shoulder, next thing I know I had a guy..Scary how long you can sit on your arse playing .. think I played 8 hrs. straight once .. You don't have a life but who cares .. I'm afraid to play those games anymore . When I was GM fisherman I liked it better than fishing . Fighting sea monters,,pulling in treasure chest .. maps .. selling fish ... insanity ,, Hey ,, Don't res kill me I'll call guards..
I'm a geek - you're a Nerd. Never played that stuff - You were fighting Sea Monsters, I was fighting the Soviets

If it is a 640GB WD Hard drive, smart choice - two big, fast, quiet, and sexy platters - should be big, fast, & reliable for a while...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
Raven

game machines like that are a business within themselves
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
I'm a geek - you're a Nerd. Never played that stuff - You were fighting Sea Monsters, I was fighting the Soviets
Its player vs player too ,, If your not in town ,, your fair game .. If your new to the game, everyones killing you and looting your corpse .. You gotta go to town and find a healer . Sux when you start getting good armor and weapons and you get killed and all your stuff is looted .. I'm, pissed just thinking about it .. I had mansions , boats , chest full of ores .. gold , silver .. magic weapons , robes . I was getting big ,, Not the looser I am in real life .
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
Ed.. did you see bassmaster out there in computer kill 'em all land???...

he can go for weeks on there..no food, sleep etc.....wracks up big body counts and such....

meybe he was the one who shot yer corpse!
I don't play anymore .. Its an addiction I don't have time for .. But I was playing maybe 7 yrs. ago, when I heard Dave got bit by the bug and know first hand what Dave was going through .. The hands on the clock just fly while playing that stuff . Bathing ,,eating ,, shaving ,, everything takes a back seat to gaming .. I think Dave was playing a differant game than me .. Now UO looks corny compared to the graphics my kids getting .. I dare not watch too long .. Now everyones wearing headsets and coordinating kills . You and your buddys can take out a big guy .. Just talking about it I'm jonesing
Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:

If it is a 640GB WD Hard drive, smart choice - two big, fast, quiet, and sexy platters - should be big, fast, & reliable for a while...
Until Seagate finally fixes their firmware, I think the Barracuda will be the way to go. Until then, I'm right there with you John with WD.

You can also call me a nerd too. 2.8Ghz QuadCore, 4Gigs RAM, ATI 4870 1Gig RAM for graphics, 2 - 500GB Barracuda drives run RAID mirrored, 2 - 250cfm intake fans and 2 - 150cfm outtakes.

I like to play First-person Shooters and this economy has given me a lot of spare time to do so.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

They play alot of shooting games .. I prefer medeval weapons .. Nothing gives you that warm fuzzy feeling like bashing someones head in with a mace .. I'm glad I don't play anymore .. I think it was messing me up ..
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
JohnR

Yes Eddy - its tough. Beauty of the flight sims is that they'll last a couple hours at worst.

Quote:
They play alot of shooting games .. I prefer medeval weapons .. Nothing gives you that warm fuzzy feeling like bashing someones head in with a mace .. I'm glad I don't play anymore .. I think it was messing me up ..
I don't know about going medeival. Could be that turning cockpit to cockpit at the merge with yelling "Fights On" starting the dogfight is really where it is at

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Until Seagate finally fixes their firmware, I think the Barracuda will be the way to go. Until then, I'm right there with you John with WD.

You can also call me a nerd too. 2.8Ghz QuadCore, 4Gigs RAM, ATI 4870 1Gig RAM for graphics, 2 - 500GB Barracuda drives run RAID mirrored, 2 - 250cfm intake fans and 2 - 150cfm outtakes.

I like to play First-person Shooters and this economy has given me a lot of spare time to do so.

Quad core 9660, 4GB XP Pro (with W2K, and a couple Linux boxes in VMs) 9650 w/512, 1 WD640 with snapshots to a 1TB FreeAgent, running twin 21" FPD2185Ws, Cougar HOTAS with Rudder Pedals and Track-IR4 for flight simming .

Previously mentioned Lanbox w/ 2x320GB RAID1, 6GB RAM, and a couple other dirves running Hyper-V core with a couple dev servers, Windows 7, and WHS running Virtual.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
Quad core 9660, 4GB XP Pro (with W2K, and a couple Linux boxes in VMs) 9650 w/512, 1 WD640 with snapshots to a 1TB FreeAgent, running twin 21" FPD2185Ws, Cougar HOTAS with Rudder Pedals and Track-IR4 for flight simming .

Previously mentioned Lanbox w/ 2x320GB RAID1, 6GB RAM, and a couple other dirves running Hyper-V core with a couple dev servers, Windows 7, and WHS running Virtual.
Very nice rig John.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:

I'm dizzy ..