Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Migraines.

killmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmeki llmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekill mekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillme

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I feel you Likwid...I used to get them alot..(when I was married..go figure) not so much anymore and not nearly as bad! I used to get them so bad I just wanted to go out and get a gun and chew on it until it went off! Talk about debilitating.....can't see for the blurries....nausea, sensitvity to light and sound and smells......after the initial headache would pass I would be 3 or 4 more days with a "squishy" head. (Thats what my head felt like afterwards...like a wet sponge)

Hope you feel better soon!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Raven

Arrow it could be caused by

low blood sugar too.... supposedly that causes 60% of
all migraines....

i gettem on occaision and when you stand up
it feels like this for real....

try eating some jelly beans (if you have any)
which is considered to be
a great survival food
replaces the sugar quick...
so does Orange Juice
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
ScottC

I have 750mg Vocoden for my back that take care of Migranes pretty good
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
Backbeach Jake

My son used to get them so bad he'd throw up. Says that he uses cayenne pepper in his food now and hardly gets them. And he's a vegetarian.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
Raven

Arrow thats quite interesting

about the cayene pepper because being a herbalist i know for a fact that it increases your circulation when nothing else will.

It has been used for centuries to help people with poor circulation in their legs for example. In fact you can sprinkle some in your shoes (very sparingly)
and your feet will get warm because of how large the pores are on the bottom of your feet.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid
killmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmeki llmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekill mekillmekillmekillmekillmekillmekillme

What always frustrates me is how many people say they get migraines yet if you ask if they have any of the true migraine symptoms they do not. IMO this really diminishes the public's perception of just how debilitating migraines can be. My day is over when I get a prodrome (pre-migraine symptoms for those who don't know) since I know a migraine is imminent. If I get a prodrome I instantly run for home and people don't know what to make of it because unless I'm dying I don't stop working, fishing, or whatever else I'm doing.

I can tell Big Fish really gets migraines just by his description. Same for Backbeach Jake's son. Nausea is common symptom of a migraine. I can't even really drive when I have a prodrome, I can barely read street signs because my vision is so f'd up. Plus I have the same super hero like hearing and also the ability to smell faint odors instantly from across the room and even speech issues. A few times I even lost about half my field of vision during the prodrome. Basically all I can do is retreat to a dark, quiet location. For many migraine sufferers, migraines are not something you can just tough out at work, and many people can't understand that. Migraines often have a postdrome as well that can last days. For me I basically feel like I have a hangover for a day or 2 afterwards.

I'm fairly sure I've noticed a low blood sugar connection with mine, but pretty much without a doubt it is flashing lights that are a trigger for me. Last time I got a migraine I watched Armegeddon on a bigscreen TV the night before. Lots of flashing lights in that one. I thought the room was bright enough but apparently not. I won't even sit under a lit ceiling fan these days...

In any case try to fall asleep (I usually can't) and hopefully the more extreme part of the migraine fades soon...

Be sure to check out some of the new generation migraine medications, they can be a BIG help for most people. Since taking one medication just one time my migraines have never been quite as bad as they used to be.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
about the cayene pepper because being a herbalist i know for a fact that it increases your circulation when nothing else will.

It has been used for centuries to help people with poor circulation in their legs for example. In fact you can sprinkle some in your shoes (very sparingly)
and your feet will get warm because of how large the pores are on the bottom of your feet.
Kind of weird with the cayenne pepper thing. Normal headache pain is due to the constriction of blood vessels. Yet true migraine pain is caused by the opposite. Something that dilates blood vessels even has the potential to increase migraine pain.

I like to drink a cup of coffee before my migraine reaches the stage where I'm generally in too much pain to handle eating or drinking. Caffiene being a vasoconstrictor and it definitely seems to help a bit, for me at least.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
Raven

Arrow thats radical pete

sorry to hear that you have to go through that...

and you to likwid...and bigfish... i hadnt heard the term prodome
before but can relate totally to the hangover symptoms when i haven't even had a drink.... i have noticed certain reactions to chemicals....like whats used in some soda....called phenylalaline or however its spelled but it gives me kalaidescope vision and its hard to drive then ....like you have water in your eye swirling around.

i swear its due to chemical additives in food that cause problems days after consuming them. Even certain beers ...light beers...if i have just "one" i'm so hungover it's like i was on a five star bender and drank a case and a half of them. So thats why i only drink dark ales now.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
t.orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_G
. Basically all I can do is retreat to a dark, quiet location. .
Thats the ONLY way I can get through them, really sux when you are out
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
CAL
I need spring!

I used to get them in high school. Only thing that worked was going home an pulling down the shades and trying to sleep. Nausea and sensitivity to light and sound was brutal. Got so bad I had to see a neurologist and get a cat scan. Eventually went away, but the doctor thought it might have had something to do with the stress of SAT's and college admissions etc.
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #12
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I had mine narrowed down to a few situations....low blood sugar due to not eating, flourescent lighting would set them off, bright glare off bumpers or glass...also snow blindness would do it. My eyes are super light sensitive so I can't read in dim light.....need lots of light. I have 20/10 vision so I think my focus is quite extreme. Stress was also a factor at times....as I said I got them the worst when I was married to that friggin......whoops, sorry....you know!

Yeah when you get the pre-symptoms and you are out....man you can't run for home quick enough....especially when you have to drive!

Old 05-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #13
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid
My son is going through the same thing. I dont know whats worse his pain or the frustration with his money grabbing doctors whose greater concern is billable visits rather than treating the problem.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:25 AM   #14
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Thankfully working from home lets me go hide for a bit and pop T3 and hope they go away. BF, flourescent lighting will set me off if I have to spend more than 45min under them. Its a freaking nightmare just watching the clock. But most of the time I get them are stress related.

Ugh.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 05-04-2006, 06:47 AM   #15
Slingah

i can relate...i get a couple a year.....
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:14 AM   #16
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Striprsnipr....how old is your son? My son just turned 12 and he had a bad couple of months after Christmas where he developed migraines almost every day....he missed alot of school, they had him on alot of meds and finally they determined he was being over medicated (which I pretty much thought...idiots) then they got him on the right drug and they went away. The doctors think they might have been triggered by growing pains....he said it is common in youg children to have this happen.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #17
likwid
lobster = striper bait

The nausea part combined with it is ultimately my undoing.

Ski Quicks Hole