Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 02-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
JFigliuolo

I'm down to 3 blanks

Any comments on the following blanks?

RS SU1087, RS SW1088, Lami GSB 1081M?

I'm leaning towards one of the Rainshadows for the $ difference. But I welcome all comments regardless. This is the first rod I am building thus all the questions.

Again throwing 1-3 ounces (probably more towards the upper end)
and eels 50/50.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

You would be maxing the 1087 out.
I would go with the RS SW1088 for the money it's a great blank.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
MassBass

I second the 1088. It's a sweet blank for the dough.
IMO the 1081m is too light for eel work unless they'll be toothpicks.
MassBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Capesams steered me to that particular blank, and he was dead on. It is my go-to stick and can handle the upper end with ease. (When he told me it was his go-to rod choice, I figured he knew what he was talking about...)

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
luds
Night Stalker

I get so lost in su, sw, all star, all star made by batson etc. i don't trust anything I hear at this point. I've heard so many stories. Maybe Mike P can shed some light. It's most likely pretty simple but like everything else fishermen complicate it. basically I fish lami now.
luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

got a few 1088's love 'em. sabre and 2 allstars.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
Redsoxticket

also, what are the near equivalents of allstar 1088 in the batson/rainshadow and lami rods ?
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
also, what are the near equivalents of allstar 1088 in the batson/rainshadow and lami rods ?
seems like a batson sw 1089 should be close.
luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post

Rainshadow SU 1088

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds48 View Post
i don't trust anything I hear at this point. I've heard so many stories. Maybe Mike P can shed some light.
Trust the other mike, too

If you're looking for one all purpose 9' blank, you can't do better than the SW 1088. The only thing I think I'd like better is a 10' Lami 120 1L with a foot chopped from the butt--but you'd have to accept not having a warranty on the blank.

As a general rule, the SW Rainshadows are a little more parabolic than the SU series. They're pretty close to the original Sabres--in fact, the 8'10" Made in USA versions were built in the same factory as the old Sabres, and probably on the same mandrels. The SU series is a little faster action. They're modeled after All Star blanks. People who've used both All Stars and SU Rainshadows seem to say that the Rainshadow has a softer feel to it, at least with respect to the 1209

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
SeaWolf

if you are steadily casting between 2.5-3 ounce, i'd jump up a series in power for a rod. most 1088's-type blanks can take up to 3, but you start to push them a little and they are faster action rods, which for some do not lend well as eeling rods.

the gsb1081m is more moderate action. better for eels, but again, tops off at about 3. some people have no problem pushing the rod over 3 slightly, but 3 is about the top end, with 2.5 ideal top end.

i'll have to lean w/ mike p's recommendation on the gsb1201L cut, either from the tip and/or butt. moderate action and not overly expensive. again, cutting a blank will void your warrenty.

all star no longer manufacturers blanks to sell. their original sw-series blanks, which most refer to, were fairly fast action rods. rainshadows su-series blanks were modeled after this series. rainshadows sw-series were slightly less fast, but still fast in action overall. they also have slightly less power for the same model in the su-series. the su-series rainshadows are all graphite. the sw-series are composite.

i have yet to find the perfect rod in 9' from a manufacturer that can handle lure ranges typically asked for, as is here, in 10' models, but as a 9'. rogue makes one, but i don't endorse it.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
Krispy

Dave, what happens to the 1201m when its cut 1' from the butt? Does it hold the same action? Or is it to stiff for a 9'er?

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
Dave, what happens to the 1201m when its cut 1' from the butt? Does it hold the same action? Or is it to stiff for a 9'er?
Throw it in the trash or give it to me.
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I'd go 1088.
I dont fish mine much (rather like the 1201M just to 9.8')

but it is light, fast and has some balls.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
SeaWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
krispy, although i've never done that on this particular blank, experience tells me that the action will be pushed further down the blank and you will lose a little of the loading properties. it will feel stiffer, but mainly due to losing those loading properties. you remember that 9' jetty rod i usually throw that has a size 16 tip? well, that rod used to be 10' and is 1' shorter, all from the tip. you wouldn't think that rod would be as versitile as it is, but it my favorite jetty rod for heavy tide rips and big bass. if i was to try and mimic that rod again, it would be done using the gsb1201m and cutting mostly form the tip. for what i think you want, all off the butt might work. just send some of those johnny wads my way...
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
MassBass

To me it sounds like you're on a budget...if so, go with the SW1088 it's a sweet blank not the SU1088, the latter is much too stiff for the applications you mentioned.
BUT, if you want THE stick I'd go with 120L minus a foot or just as is.
MassBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #17
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
krispy, although i've never done that on this particular blank, experience tells me that the action will be pushed further down the blank and you will lose a little of the loading properties. it will feel stiffer, but mainly due to losing those loading properties. .
I've always noticed that cutting a rod from the butt makes it feel stiffer, but never quite grasped the mechanics of why. Thanks for the explanation.

One of these days I want to try a 120 1L with the tip cut back to a size 12 or 14 and the remainder of a foot off the butt. I'm always looking for that "do-anything" 9 footer that's almost identical to the Fisher 8708 I never had a chance to buy

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #18
honeyhole

Rods

Before I would cut any rod down, I would tape some guides and a reel to it and make a few casts, everyone has a different feel when picking a rod up, what may be good for one, will not be the same for another, and when you start cutting, why not take a little off at a time until you reach the desired feel. Good Luck!
honeyhole is offline   Reply With Quote