Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-26-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
winchmaster

Angry Got Steel? Somebody Hoed my lathe!!!!

Hello guys,
For those who don't know me I'm from California and have fished westcoast stripers for way over thirty years. I usaully hang out at another certain website but thought you all would be interested on what's going on. In March I ordered a Jet Lathe, great price, great company ect. Well today I sit 53 days later still waiting for the lathe I ordered. I had talked to the distributor about 30 days and was told that the factory had notified them that it had been backordered.
I e-mailed and called the distribitorSmith-Hamilton (Southern-tool ) last night and asked a what the F is up and just now I got a call from the vice president of Walter Meyer Holding Company. This is the company that owns and produces all the Jet equipment and a lot of all the steel products out there. What he told me is that right now there is a raw steel shortage! It is almost impossible to find steel to manufacture products. I talked to Mr. Floyd for almost an hour and got some lesson on the steel business. Suffice to say if your planning on buying anything made of steel. BUY IT NOW as prices on consumer goods wmade with stell is going to skyrocket.
So my next date of production is June 6 to late for me to make stuff, and the thousands of dollars I spent on other tools and material will sit till after the fishing season is over. Just thought you'd all be interested on what's going on.
winchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Angry

Winch,
Bummer Are there any adult ed courses given in shop in the schools out there? If so you could turn them on their lathes till yours arrives.
Just a thought.
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
winchmaster

No proble3m as I already have too many plugs, plus I can always Hit Fixter or Deweys houses and borrow their lathes. I'll just fish this year store all that AYC and start in the fall after the fish leave.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

wow that sucks winch

I was wondering what was up when you first ordered it and they told you it would be a few weeks, sounds like an unscrupulous company stringing you along I hope they get it to you soon since I think you posted before that they hit your credit card already.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
Jigman

Quote:
Originally posted by winchmaster
...I already have too many plugs...
Thats something I never thought I would hear you say

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
winchmaster

Sorry Jigman it was a weak moment after being bummed out. You guys can send me care packages with plugs so I can smell and fondle them while I wait.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:05 AM   #7
winchmaster

No Slip I had the same thought but when you end up talking to the VP of the company that is going make the lathe. And he gives you such honest answers its hits hard. I will say his phone call was awesome and I will wait for the jet. When you deal with someone who lets you in on the secret and is truthful. I have his name and phone nunber. You stick by them.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Jigman

Thats ok Winch, we all have our moments Hope the new lathe gets here soon for you. Guess I got mine in time. Ordered it before Christmas and delivered in a few days.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #9
Fishpart
Keep The Change

The metals market is tough right now. Consumers are buying after laying back for a while, industrial production is up. China is buying all the scrap steel and copper avialabe in the marketplace and driving prices up........

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #10
winchmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Jigman
T Guess I got mine in time. Ordered it before Christmas and delivered in a few days.

Jigman
Dang and all I got for Christmas was a puppy.
Yeah soon you see me on a internet corner,
Hey dude spare a plug? I'm down on my luck I'm waiting on my lathe. Spare plug?
Old 04-27-2004, 04:01 PM   #11
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

Winch, I know how you feel , I ordered my new one the first week of Feb and i'm STILL waiting! Just got off the phone with PSI and they said it was shipped friday and I SHOULD have it any day now. johnny "tRB"
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I'm sure it will be worth the long wait Winch, I am very happy with my lathe. It should give you many years of service.

Quote:
Originally posted by winchmaster
Sorry Jigman it was a weak moment after being bummed out. You guys can send me care packages with plugs so I can smell and fondle them while I wait.
check ya mailbox tomorrow or the next day and you will have a big smile on ya face, hopefully that will hold you over till the big bass show up for you.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:24 PM   #13
winchmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by pisrfcstr
Winch, I know how you feel , I ordered my new one the first week of Feb and i'm STILL waiting! Just got off the phone with PSI and they said it was shipped friday and I SHOULD have it any day now. johnny "tRB"
You made the plunge a month before me, hopefully he was telling you the truth . If its a distribituer he might not realize why it was backordered. remember my distribuator just said there was a backorder from the factory and was given a dropship date of april 24 th then she bang no lathe. You might want to follow up with a phone call to see if it shipped for sure.
Don't want you to do like me pisrfcstr , went out and preordered every thing I would need for over a large quanty of plugs, paint, compresser, new gun, lure bits evreything I thought id needed. Now I'm putting everything in the attic for storage.