Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Sports.....What Have We Done?

Performance enhancing drugs, gambling on games, videotaping against league rules.......at what price victory? Sports has really gone in the dumper!! When most of us were kids it was all about what was going on between the lines......no contract squabbles, off the field drug use, arrests, gun and drug possession, spousal abuse, drunk driving, holdouts, demanding to renegotiate contracts.........man sports is really s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g bigtime and I for one have just about had enough! M-O-N-E-Y has really ruined the essence of sports.......people will do or take just about anything to enhance their careers, lengthen their careers......no pride anymore just "show me the money"! Football has been my last vestige of sports enjoyment and now I am losing that! The Pats lose the Superbowl and now its not just for the simple fact that they got beat......but the sports talk shows spend hours/days/weeks looking for scapegoats and reasons why????

Carry on.....needed to vent!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Backbeach Jake

I have the reason why. Finish this quote for me " On any given Sunday ---"

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Raven

i think the whole country should be on enhanced nutritional supplements
,glacier water , seaweed , royal jelly, whey protein
and mega doses of vitamins - so we are all kickin some ass...

so i always cringe when i hear about nutritional sports restrictions...period

but BF in reference to your post...

what has bothered me the most has been the parents attitudes
towards sports perfection (the Belechick syndrome) in their children
and the degree of insanity
that is sometimes displayed over it...

combined
with the lack of interest in nature activities or fishing
(as a sport too) instead of just buying electronic gaming JUNK

additional commentary to back up my statement from CNN

quote: The replacement of vigorous outdoor activities by sedentary, indoor videophilia has far-reaching consequences for physical and mental health, especially in children," Pergams said in a statement. "Videophilia has been shown to be a cause of obesity, lack of socialization, attention disorders and poor academic performance."

Last edited by Raven; 02-06-2008 at 06:19 AM..
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
$$$ has ruined sports!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

hate to break it to you Larry but even before any of us were even a gleam in our Daddy's eyes, Sports was Always full of Gambling, Booze, Womanizing....and its also Always been about Money.

its just the fact that when you were a kid you didn't spend as much time watching the news, reading the paper, surfing the web........and talking about it at work (mainly because you were still in school).

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Did you know that Babe Ruth once was criticized because his salary was higher than President Hoover's? His answer to the criticism was, "I had a better year than he did".

Stuff like this has gone on forever, Larry. Human nature doesn't change. The difference was, sports writers were part of the biggest old boys club going and they had a gentleman's agreement with baseball to keep the dirty laundry in the hamper.

The same was true of the press in general. FDR had a mistress, Ike had a mistress, and JFK had a whole stable. No one ever knew it then--it was all swept under the rug. Instead, you got those front page photos of JFK walking out of St. Xavier's church in Hyannis, missal in one hand, Jackie's hand in the other.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Theres a series of books out called the Baseball Hall of Shame....lots of stories from all the decades past that weren't exactly baseball's proudest moments

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
EarnedStripes44

Human nature indeed...
EarnedStripes44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Exactly, what makes you think athletes are any different than any non athletes. Same problems, addictions, ethics, as any Joe Q. Public. Just that they have a press corp following them most of the time.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
BassDawg
Trophy Hunter Apprentice

Ain't nuthin' new, my bruddah!

the MLB teams of yesteryear had greenies and beer.
Hell, there was a time when Ironworkers did rails on the beams, and coffee breaks were mollies breaks, and everyone was having hops and barley sandwiches for lunch.

i'm for HGH as the new cortisone shot! Carefully and strictly monitored, made available to all for medicinal purposes only, what's the big whoop? If it can help all MLB and can be used to rebound quicker and stronger from a hammie or an acl, then why not allow it for ALL teams?

And it is, SADLY, about the money!
Look what the money factor did to our Stripers in the 80's???
SUX! But for some folks, the call of the dollar is greater than the Call of The Almighty Himself!
And that's what often separates the best of the best.............in all walks of Life.

Is any job on this planet worth 25, even 20, million dollars a year to be paid to a single individual for playing a sport? And now we are getting into the whole Capitalism argument, but MLB sort of creates this dynamic with their refusal to implement a Salary Cap. It worked for the NFL, and i am very curious how this would effect MLB ~~the whole luxury tax dogbone/trickle down effect is a farce!!

To whom do you answer, or who is your Master?
".......No man can serve two masters..........we all must choose!"

Last edited by BassDawg; 02-06-2008 at 12:48 PM..

"The first condition of happiness is that the connection
between man and nature shall not be broken."~~ Leo Tolstoy

Tight Lines, and
Happy Hunting to ALL!
BassDawg is offline   Reply With Quote