Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
Jimbo

Advice Booking a Charter

Some folks at my work are pushing for me to arrange a charter. I never did anyting like this before, though I already have some guys in mind book it with, but I'm curious if anyone's got any advice on how I can keep from losing my shirt if it gets rescheduled or people back out on me. I'd like to think I can arrange the details and not have to spend the trip fishing myself and being a tourguide to them all. Any advice at all that I should be thinking about would be greatly appreciated.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
MakoMike

get the money up-front!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
SBASS1

Start by using a reputable Charter boat... The better ther boat the further in advance you need to book. I've worked on a charter boat for years, the biggest complaint I've heard is guys backing out. After you've figured out the boat and date make sure if the guy wants to go his deposit is at least 50% of his share, and it's in your hand well in advance of the trip. They have a much harder time backing out when you got $50-$100 of their money(non refundable unless a replacement individual is found). I realize this is tough on last minute trips, paid in full could help. On a reputable boat if the trip gets cancelled by the Captain (weather/boat problems) you should have the option of cancelling all together or rescheduling. If you the party cancells you might lose your deposit. If a regular customer calls and says one in the party had a heart attach, we'll reschedule, but if the forecast says if might sprinkle on sat. morning and you don't want to get wet.... your sunk! Again any reputable Charter boat should have a Mate, which should eliminate you from being the tour guide. However don't forget about him/her at the end of the trip 15% -20% of the total bill, no different than a waitress, accept more work. Ask the different types of fishing that can be done and the tackle used, some just troll(2-4rods at time) others drift(usually more) still others do both. Last enjoy the trip.
SBASS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
Joe

Be smart - say no.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
teezer

I will agree with all of what SBASS1 said. I run a small charter boat. Any good captain will refund or reschedule the trip if the weather is poor. I would also get the money upfront from your friends. Most charters want 50% for a deposit, maybe your buddies do not know this. I would get as much money as possible and tell them the money is not refundable if they back out.

When you speak to the captain make sure you talk about the type of fishing he does. Ask him what and how he excepts to fish at that time of year. Ask what fish he would be targeting. Most captians I speak with are just the same as any other fishing addict, once you get them started in a conversation they will tell you what you need.

Hope you have a good time, and learn lots.
Teezer
teezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
HighTide

Send a message via AIM to HighTide
Definately get a good amount of $ up front. You have to put down the deposit. Also, I've ran a charter with the same five guys for the past 5-6 years and what I do to figure out how much is to figure in the charter cost, tip, food and beverage, and anything left over goes into the biggest fish pool.
HighTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Thom

MOney up front and if they back out they need to find a replacement befroe they get there money back. THey don't like then they don't go. ThomT
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Don't book Grry Corsetti

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
Notaro
None

don't book a trip unless u want to do it for your close friends or family members. also, make sure you feel confident that they (co-workers) wont swindle u.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote