Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Iphone pricing

How come if I look on Ebay you see Iphones going for $900+ when you can get a new one from att for a lot less...like $199! Is it all about that 2 year contract ?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
How come if I look on Ebay you see Iphones going for $900+ when you can get a new one from att for a lot less...like $199! Is it all about that 2 year contract ?
Yep, plus a lot of the expensive ones on Ebay are unlocked to work with other carriers. Thinking of one? Do you have ATT?

Don't think of bringing it in your waders fishing tough spots.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Mr. Sandman

Ohhh other carriers, I didn't know you could configure them to do that. Maybe that is worth it then.
I have one of the cheap bare bones phones...think of them as disposable, if I get a season out of it I am happy. Last year I got an iphone for my oldest kid, (he wanted one for a Christmas gift if you can believe that) and mid way thru the summer be broke the glass... we were able to get it fixed but what a pain in the a$$. The contract tie-in is a another pain. Even if you buy another phone you can't get out of the broken phone contract.. Frankly I think they are pretty cool phones but not worth the $ for me...4 phones with a $60/month family plan + $30/mo/phone for IPhone + $30/mo for family texting + some other crap and I am looking at 250+/mo for family cell phone usage. I remember when I had 4 phones for under 60/mo (and I thought that was expensive) This exceeds my cable bill which I think offers me a heck of a lot more for the $.

I told my boys if they want these high end phones I would by buy the phone but they have to pay for the monthly fee's. My younger son opted for the I touch and a cheap phone .
yes I have AT&T
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Nebe

They are 900 bucks because the are %$%$%$%$ing awesome
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
JohnnyD

The phones retail for up to $900 but AT&T subsidizes the phone knowing that few would pay that kind of price.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote