Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
nipideddee

Rattles

I was wondering what the majority thinks about rattles inbedded into their lure making? It would be very easy to subsitute something like the plastic end of a ballpoint pen cut off and loaded with shot from a say 7 1/2 shotgun shell and then you could measure the grams weight vs your usual weight to get the right balance. Fishing the Top dogs, spooks and inland lures I have found rattles to sometimes be a very advantageous thing. Plan on putting some in a batch of spooks I am working on. Any comments?
Nip
nipideddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Rockfish9

I buy rattles from Stamina... I drill through the eye sockets of some of my swimmers then insert the rattle and fill the hole with 2 part epoxy putty... Shhhhh.... top secret.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
nipideddee

Nipideddee

Sounds interesting--Have to get one of their catalogs
Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
I buy rattles from Stamina... I drill through the eye sockets of some of my swimmers then insert the rattle and fill the hole with 2 part epoxy putty... Shhhhh.... top secret.
COOL idea!!!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
nipideddee

Nipideddee

What do you do about interferring with the center of the lure thru wire ? My spooks I have the eyes centered on the bodies and I have enough trouble with centered thru wire holes as it is. I use the lathe for drilling but with 5 1/2 inch spooks use a verticle drill and making a stand-up 90 degree jig for that
Nip
Old 01-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Jigman

I use rattles on some of my handcarves/crankbaits. These are completed sealed. I make the rattles by taking a section of brass tubing (I cut it to size) and inserting it in the plug. A 1/4 inch diameter slingshot slug is placed in the tube and the lead weight is placed over the tube opening. Rattle and belly weight at the same location. Pretty loud rattle.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Thats a good one ... I was just wondering,,, adding a boyant chamber in a plug,, where to locate it ? so its not affecting the plugs set in the water .. Eye high sounds perfect .. good idea ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
zacs
D'oh

weight of the shot/rattles will probably make heavier, not more buoyant. Right?

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacs View Post
weight of the shot/rattles will probably make heavier, not more buoyant. Right?
The magnum rattles I use are extremly light,they are 7/8" long and require a large plug to begin with ,the putty( Elmers 2 part wood repair epoxy putty) I use floats, and is extremly light, but %100 water proof( BLO doesnt affect it either) so on fat plug ( like a pikie or a cowboy) they have no effect on the weight or performance, well except in maybe convincing an exrta fish or two to take a swipe at it..

I've tried them length wise in other plugs, just for laughs, but obviously,because the latteral installation, they are virtualy ineffective.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Nebe

if you go to http://www.waleapparatus.com/index.asp?category=18738, you can buy hollow glass tube.. when you get the tube score it with a file all the way around and crack it off to get the length you want and with a propane torch slowly heat up one end while rotating it and it will close up. stuff a stailness ball bearing in there after it cools, then chuck the tube in a non electric hand drill and heat the other end up until that closes.. dont crank the drill but turn it back and forth to keep the glass from dripping...

wear safety glasses.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
saltydog

Rattles, Ive used them in tying flys here are the ones I use there realy light an are 1/4 round an 1'long, you can get them WallyWorld, --> RENEGADE 20 in a box. havent tryed them in a plug yet.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rattles.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	25197  

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Guy on e bay had the best price I found for the glass ones. Now the listing is gone. Wish I had bought more

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote