Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Question Hall of Fame Balloting!

Molitor and Eckersley....deserving???? Rice, Sandberg, Sutter, others???? What do you think, anyone not in who you think should be? Make your case!

My Case- Molitor, automatic first ballot, 3000 hits, solid leader, winner!

Eckersley- Tough call but here goes! Should not be in on first few ballots, (was this his first election year?) If so, he does not deserve first ballot election. The five great years he had in Oakland should not make him first ballot HOF'er, if you look at his career numbers, they are not HOF, however, I feel he belongs in the Hall but make him sweat a few elections first. Great player Eck, and those reliever years he had in Oakland were "Dominant"!

Rice- My opinion.....this guy belongs in, not a first ballot, but he should have been in by now! He has got Cepeda numbers, almost identical, and in the time he played, he was the most feared hitter in the game from 77-85. He will get in in the next few years!

Sandberg- Great player, solid numbers, MVP, not first ballot but he will be in, no doubt!

Sutter- Should be in if Eck got in on his first try? Most dominant closer of his time, solid career! Sutter has been passed over a few times.

Anyone else?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Unhappy Fishing and Baseball Don't Mix?

No baseball fans around here?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Rice didn't get in. That's all I care about. Hope he goes in when it finally is up to the veterans to put him there, seems like the writers will never do it.

FOOTBALL!
FOOTBALL!
FOOTBALL!
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Squid kids Dad

FOOTBALL,FOOTBALL..
In my opinoin ECK DESERVES IT...1ST BALLOT,,Rice pissed to many sports writers off...But I think he deserves to be in..They are just playing with him...Damn its cold in here

Last edited by Squid kids Dad; 01-07-2004 at 11:34 PM..

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I know Rice has HOF numbers, but those of us who saw him play have this recollection of him hitting a lot of home runs and driving in a lot of runs when the Sox were up 8-3, and being Mr. 6-4-3 when there were runners on with the game on the line. That and the fact he was an absolute #^&#^&#^&#^& in the clubhouse and to the writers and fans probably accounts for why he's gonna have to wait for the Veterans' Committee to vote him in.

Eck? Not on the first ballot. Not when his most famous moment was serving up a gopher to a guy who could hardly walk to the plate in the 88 Series. Sutter, Gossage and even Lee Smith have as much a claim to the Hall as Eck.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Yeah I agree with both of these, and met Rice at a golf course when I was about 15, seemed nice enough then, maybe he was just in a good mood?
Think Sanburg next year.. gossage and sooter (sp) should be in too....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote