Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-15-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
rhodyflyguy

sick marine

there, that got your attention. did anyone see on NBC nightly news tonight when that marine shot that wounded guy? i thought we held ourselves higher than the terrorists. they had bandaged him the da before. bad eggs. don't ya love em? i'm starting my own country. i'm taking over rhode island. and canada. only fisher people are allowed in rhody. i shall call it striperland. we can than get our maple syrup and meat from canada. you people who drink can bring whatever you want, but when you get drunk, we'll dump you in p town naked. ha ha. anyone want to join me? we need to start saving to buy them. or we can storm the capitals! we can say screw you to diplomats, and get many electric plants for many winter over stripers, and we can re build the herring runs. and we can be happy.

fishing is not a love, but an obsession
rhodyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
fishsmith
DDG-51

rhody,
How old are you?
What if you were in that hell hole and unsure if you were about to be killed by an insurgent.

Support our Troops and enjoy your freedom.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Did you miss the part where it said that some soldiers were injured in the same situation because the guy bandaged up was booby trapped...there's always more to a story than one news report lets on.

Can't see knocking what they're doing over there when we're nice and comfortable over here.

with you on that one fishsmith...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
Skip N

Take him out and ask questions later....Not to mention the soldier in question was shot the day before. I hate people who question this kind of stuff that is literally a life and death decision. Play it safe and take him out. Go move to canada with all the other nuts if you dont like it
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
Navy Chief
Reagan Republican

Rhodyflyguy

Go over there and do his job. Then you can knock it. But you won't because you've been in his shoes.

We are held to a higher standard and that Marine will face consequences for his actions.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink." - ADM William "Bull" Halsey
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
I have friends over there, and I have nothing but respect for them. I would not pass judgement on anyone that stands up and shows he is proud to be an American by joining any branch of the service...I thank them, not judge them...

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
Nebe

I'm agianst the war, but if I was in that marines shoes I would have done the same thing
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
spence

It really is impossible to know what was going through this Marine's mind. He could have thought he was in danger, perhaps he just freaked out. I don't think you can expect to not have events like this seing what these men and women have to endure.

I'm much more concerned when there is a leadership failure that shows a policy is being condoned (or overlooked) that isn't American. The whole Abu Grahib thing is an ugly stain that starts at the Pentagon and ends with a few Guardsmen scapegoats.

The incident with the Marine clearly is different. There's a very fuzzy line between killing someone in defense and murder when you're in a hostile environment. Unless someone can prove he really had no reason to believe there was any danger and he did it just for the hell of it...they'll probably cut him some slack.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I knew you had it in you Eben!
I agree, I hate to see anyone die but there is no "time out" in war. Decisions need me made in a split second or you end up dead. I'd rather error on the side of someone else dead and not me.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:12 AM   #10
5/0
Eels

Hey who's to say that this towel jocky didn't have a bomb under his pajamas?If im not mistakin this guy was bandaged up the day before along with others.
Smart money would say get the heck out of Dodge,well he didn't so the next day "Our Troops" take on more fire from the same location as the day before.So they take it over Agian,and the same idiot they bandaged yesterday is still there faking death!
So that leads me to belive that he's got somthing to hide.
Like the fact he's an insurgent
Non of these guys are playing by any rules,at least we try our best to abide to the rules.Plus we have these inbedded reporters watch/recording any & all events that are good and bad but for some reason all we get to see here is the bad stuff!!Just one more pice of negitivty to say that we don't beloge there

Hey all is fare in love & war!

Drop the leaflets for two days then, just level the whole place and start from scratch

5/0

Last edited by 5/0; 11-16-2004 at 11:21 AM..

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #11
Skip N

Eben you are really starting to scare me now Def gotta cut the Marine some slack on this one. Why the hell did NBC air this anyway??? Who's side are they on in this war? They know by showing this it will only be used as propaganda for al jeeza I hate news networks
Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
Skip N

Eben you are really starting to scare me now Def gotta cut the Marine some slack on this one. Why the hell did NBC air this anyway??? Who's side are they on in this war? They know by showing this it will only be used as propaganda for al jeezera I hate news networks
Old 11-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #13
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Rhody are you kidding. First off these militants are using women and children as shields. They are using Mosques as strongholds because they know the Americans won't attack them. In the Vietnam war children had grenades and the us troops had to shoot them or die themselves. It is kill or be killed. It is war.

If these guys and girls weren't over there risking their lives you wouldn't even be able to talk like this ie. freedom of speech.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #14
Nebe

I look at it this way.. We were lied to about this war, but we are in it now, so we might as well finish it in the best way possible. Its sad but its reality.
My fears are that this is going to go on a long long time and one day Osama will get a nuke and set it off in NY or LA.... Then what will happen???
Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally posted by Eben
My fears are that this is going to go on a long long time and one day Osama will get a nuke and set it off in NY or LA.... Then what will happen???
Very scary prospect here. According to some Bin Laden has been given ethical permission to use a nuke, who knows if he really has one.

Bush has almost completely ignored border security in favor of Iraq, who's borders He also ignored. What he should have done was to fix the security problems in the USA while he set the stage for long-term democratic transformation. Get the political pieces aligned and build some World trust.

Instead he rushed into Iraq and fanned the flames of terror. Thank god I'm surrounded by Blue states

-spence
Old 11-16-2004, 12:53 PM   #16
Skip N

Thank god I'm surrounded by Blue states

Hell i want to move to a red state and get away from the wack jobs around me! Anyway, this wasnt a bash Bush topic!! Eben is right, wether you agreed with this war from the begining is totally irrevelant now. We are in Iraq and terrorist are trying to kill us there. They ALL need do die now. Screw all the PC A holes in the media. Blow up the Mosques and hospitals if they are shooting from them Turn that place into dust. And yes, Bush should close all the borders especially the Mexican ones. And get rid of all the illegals while he's at it. But we all know the ACLU and all the other wacko groups will put up a huge stink and call Bush a racist against the mexicans. Oh crap, now i got off topic! sorry! Just kill the friggen terroists in Iraq is my point
Old 11-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #17
Skip N

"According to some Bin Laden has been given ethical permission to use a nuke"

Bin Laden as ethics??? The dude who masterminded killing 3,000 people needs permision to use a nuke? Geeze, thats a rather odd comment.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #18
spence

Skip, the blue states comment was in reference to Bin Laden's last video...sort of a joke that's not really meant to be funny.

The simple problem is that it seems like the President hasn't been viewing al Qaida as much of a direct threat when there is a real danger at home and not in Iraq.

-spence
Old 11-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #19
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip N
"According to some Bin Laden has been given ethical permission to use a nuke"

Bin Laden as ethics??? The dude who masterminded killing 3,000 people needs permision to use a nuke? Geeze, thats a rather odd comment.
Not really that odd. Bin Laden is bound to the "Ethics" of his Interpretation of the Koran. The whole "Jihad" thing is his interptetation of Holy War as laid out in the Koran.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should ice this guy as soon as we get our hands on him.

But the 1st thing you need to do to defeat your enemy is to Understand him.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:07 PM   #20
Skip N

Ah the Koran, such a good book of peace and love aye? Dont get me started on that one
Old 11-16-2004, 02:37 PM   #21
Flaptail

News has just come over that the kidnappers of Margaret Hassan, the english woman who ran C.A.R.E. in Iraq for 30 years helping the poor and needy has been slain, shown in a video. Now the Marine who shot the guy in the head had been wounded in the face the day before and some Marines have been killed by booby trapped dead bodies and others fiegning death. The press and the world be dammed! I support that Marine doing what he did. First of all the people of Fallujah had been warned to leave, anyone staying must be seen as an insurgent combatant. They had found weapons and ammo in that mosque. This is not an "ordinary" war if there is such a thing and tommorow some a--hole in a set of pajamas, and a mask over his face might catch a couple Marines and there will be no questions asked they will be dead, plain and simple. Is there and should there be ethics on a battle field? Not in this type of war. If these people can kill an innocent woman whose whole life was helping the Iraqi poor and video tape it to boot then there can be no doubt as to the fate of any insurgent who is not readily showing signs of surrender of whose actions, dead or wounded are in question. Kill all the bastards they are not there to help anyones cause but the radical Islamic theology that promotes the theory that if you are not a radical fundamentalist Moslem then you must die. If it were my choice the radical fundamentalist movement would be wiped out anywhere it raised it's ugly head in the name of God. Killing for a religion, it's disgusting. If you think it can't happen here just look at what this past election has already started to do to this country. Faith based initiatives, moral majority. Your rights to freedom of speech etc. are being lined up for the kill just wait and see. Hope you never get Alzhiemers or Cerebral Palsy. The stem cell research that should and could save you will never happen. Religion has really screwed this world up lately. I am sure God has his head in his hands wondering if he did the right thing with us.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #22
chris L

you know its always good to see peoples opinions but we arent there or in the marines shoes . I bet there is more to the story than we are being told . I personally dont like the media giving us shot by shot video of the war . We have no right at this time to see the war and be judgemental . Most people have no training or expierence in the Military .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #23
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Well, if this is an opinion thing then here is my take; First off, I would have much rather seen our borders closed down and secured first off. Do you have any concept of how many illegals enter our country each day? It is amazing we allow this to continue. Between Mexico and Canada there are more fire arms and illegal substances coming into our land then ever before. OUR country is not safe and it is frightening. But we are already over there, so lets do it. Like previously posted, drop leaflets, let them know whats about to go down. All that stay understand that they are in the direct line of fire, and level the place...The US decided this was something they should do and are talking a good game, but I would rather just get the media out and just bury the place..Ethics and rules do not apply in my opinion, {Sh!t, or get off the pot} just MHO -Chris

Old 11-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #24
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

"Religion has really screwed this world up lately."

Lately???? Its been that way since the dawn of time.

I think we should knock off the political talk before JohnR gets ticked. I believe we all agree that our troops should get home asap and hope this conflict is over very soon.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #25
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Old 11-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #26
rhodyflyguy

did i ever say that i did not suport the trrops? no. im did not know that the body was booby trapped. also, i am not old enough to join the military. when i turn 18, i will join the navy. just because i was disgusted by that soldier's action's does not mean that i do not support our soldiers. i also know people who are over there. imaybe i should not judge. can I not share my opinion? i found it rather disgusting. i am sorry for excersing my 1st amendment right.

fishing is not a love, but an obsession
rhodyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:41 PM   #27
Navy Chief
Reagan Republican

Exercise your first amendment right all you want.

Don't expect sympathy or agreement, especially when you don't know the situation. If your going to join the Navy I will teach you the two most important lessons of you career....

1. The Chief is always right !

2. In the impossible hypothesis that a subordinate may be right, refer to rule 1.

Last edited by Navy Chief; 11-16-2004 at 07:48 PM..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink." - ADM William "Bull" Halsey
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:04 PM   #28
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip N
Ah the Koran, such a good book of peace and love aye? Dont get me started on that one
It is a good book. The problem is that you have these crazed Clerics who are distorting the word of Alah in a way that grants them great power.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:40 AM   #29
quick decision

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dad Fisherman
Did you miss the part where it said that some soldiers were injured in the same situation because the guy bandaged up was booby trapped...there's always more to a story than one news report lets on.

Can't see knocking what they're doing over there when we're nice and comfortable over here.

with you on that one fishsmith...
YEAH IT WAS HIS BEST FRIEND WHO GOT SHOT!

thats why they call it fishing not catching
quick decision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:22 AM   #30
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Navy Chief
Exercise your first amendment right all you want.

Don't expect sympathy or agreement, especially when you don't know the situation. If your going to join the Navy I will teach you the two most important lessons of you career....

1. The Chief is always right !

2. In the impossible hypothesis that a subordinate may be right, refer to rule 1.
The Right way, the Wrong way, and the Navy way....