Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

home made duplicator?

how do you get the same shape every time without a duplicator?
can i put a stop pin in the skew? then just guide it along a template on the tool rest?

someones gotta have an idea?

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

you can get the same shape by eye every time but they won't all be exact duplicates.
using a few sets of calipers set at key points on the shape can get you close but that can get tedious.
if you need them all the same, just use a duplicator

come over Friday or Sat. and I'll show you. I can make a template and spin those 25 plugs in a few hours.

that tool rest idea is on the same lines as some duplicators but I don't recommend that, it doesn't sound safe or accurate.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Christine

97 seconds

Freak there was a post a while ago someone I think it was Fishing Bum Wannabe made a pisser homemade duplicator, used an old drill bit for a cutter, think a few guys on here made them too?
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

i'll be over this saturday slip.
safe and accurate is my middle name.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
jklett
Primate

There's a how to in the how to and favorite plugs forum guide thing.
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ad.php?t=22053
Hope this helps.
jklett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

freak..thats how oldman stan kussia use to make all his plug's, but didn't use a pin in the knife,just kept his finger up against the templete as he was going along......info. right from the horse's mouth.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 AM   #7
Flaptail

Stan Kuzia original ( he stuck the eyes on way after he actually built it).

6 inches long and weighs 3-1/2 ounces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	12997  

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Freak make yourself a duplicator it is not that hard. Granted mine is aluminum and such but you can do the same thing with wood and a little ingenuity like Fishingbum did. You can copy Bruce's his is made of wood and the same style. Too bad I will not be home on Sat. I would show you mine too. I live right down the street from Bruce. The only way to go if you got to make more than a few. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
fishing bum wannabe

I couldn't find a link to my original post but I found a link to someone that copied mine. This one is scary close to mine, including the junk in the background.

http://www.tackleunderground.com//bo...ic.php?p=31151

Very similar to Prof. Moriarties except it is made from scraps around the shop instead of aluminum. Paul's cutter tools are much more sophisticated than mine. Several plug builders built the wooden homebuilts, some went onto commercial duplicators and some still use the homebuilts.

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
fishing bum wannabe

I found the link to my original post which will also show duplicators made by a few other plug buiders.

http://www.stripersonline.com/cgi-bi...1;t=001928;p=0

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

For a cutter I now use the same carbid inserts that the vega duplicators use. I just made a holder for them myself. Much better finish and no sharpening. When they dull get a new one. BTW if anyone out there is using the Vega duplicator I found inserts for a real good price. PM me if interested.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
eastendlu

Paul i get the inserts for free and i also made my own holder pm and i'll let you know how to get them.
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #13
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Proffessor;can you get the holder for the inserts as well? I want to get one of the carbide cutting tools but 80 bux + shipping is alot of money!!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Here is the holder and insert. I am not able to get the holder or I should say I have never tried to get one. I will look into it. I was over Dave's , MAC, and looked at his holder for his Vega. It would not be too dificult to make one if I had one in hand to copy. 80 bucks is very expensive. Maybe if I get some time, and he allows me too , I will go over to MAC's and measure it up and see what I can do. Another project great. Paul

Old 12-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #15
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

thanks,,,
tons of info.. kool link too.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #16
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Paul you need to re-work that base it needs to support all the way out under the bit or you can crack the end of the cutter off. That's the way the Diamond Pro bit is setup but that is a more substantial cutter than the midis etc.They are brittle though. The pro lets you go square to finished product in one pass up to 3/4" depth at a time so it's more durable than the smaller ones. What I can't stand with them things is the amount you have to change them. When you cut cedar they're only good for about 400 plugs before they need to be changed out. I haven't figured out the trick to sharpening them yet as they have a compound angle. That is the best cutter bit out there though.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #17
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Professor. The Vega mini duplicator uses a 5/16X5/16 tool holder. I have been looking fior a cheaper way to do it.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston
Professor. The Vega mini duplicator uses a 5/16X5/16 tool holder. I have been looking fior a cheaper way to do it.

PM coming

Old 12-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Scott the cutter works fine. I am using a home made duplicator and would never even think of trying to remove 3/4 of an inch of stock at a time. I take off .050 at a wack. Plenty strong enough. Now in a commercial setting you have a point. Rigidity is important but ayc and pine no problem for what I am doing. The whole tool would be ripped out of my hand before the tool would break, maybe my wrist but not the tool. Send me a few dull inserts and I will see if I can come up with a solution. Great another project Paul

Old 12-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #20
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

lol you got projects too

I still think you should add some more support on there because those cutters are very brittle so if it catches on a piece of wood it could crack it off the way you have it now? But then again I have an endless supply of dull bits so if you need one I gotem
Old 12-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #21
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

what kind of bit is that?
i got some off the brake turnin' lathe.
hardened steel..... 3 sided..... that look kinda similar to that one made for steel. is that what your using?

Old 12-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #22
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak
what kind of bit is that?
i got some off the brake turnin' lathe.
hardened steel..... 3 sided..... that look kinda similar to that one made for steel. is that what your using?
If you go to Bruces tomorrow I will show you.

Scott carbid is very brittle you are right. You would not believe some of the ridiculous stuff I have done with tool bits over the years. Most of the tool holders at work are crap and have been ground away so I am used to using that kind of set up out of nesessity. That was my first holder I made in a rush one night the next one will be made better and little more support. It was made basicly to see if it would work and now I am too lazy to make another one since it seems good enough. You know how that goes. I guess I am like the car mechanic who drives the crappiest looking car. Hates working on his own vehicle and as long as it works who cares. Send me a few inserts. BTW have you had a chance to look for that address for the ball thingy's yet. Don't mean to be a pest just a reminder. Thanks Paul

Old 12-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #23
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

i'll be there arround 11:00