Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Clogston29
xxx

NASCAR Testing?

Anyone else excited that Daytona testing started last night ? Can't wait for the season to start. Hopefully RCR will put some more competative cars on the track this year as the last two seasons have been disappointing. Hopefully the new fords have some issues too since I'm getting sick of Roush's recent successes.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Clogston29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29
Anyone else excited that Daytona testing started last night ? Can't wait for the season to start. Hopefully RCR will put some more competative cars on the track this year as the last two seasons have been disappointing. Hopefully the new fords have some issues too since I'm getting sick of Roush's recent successes.
With all the hillbillies and rednecks on this site I don't understand how you can never get any interest in a Nascar thread.

I'm looking forward watching the large crop of rookies at Daytona as well as the new teams that will be trying to make the race. It should make qualifying and the 125's fun to watch. Rusty Wallace will be missed but I'm sure we'll see our share of colorful interviews with him at the track. I think the 500 will get ugly quick with so many young drivers in the field.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
redneck24
WTF

oh yeah! "redneck hilbillies" i resemble that remark. you are damn right i am looking forward to the 06 season! i never try to keep nascar threads going, because either noone responds or you just get the normal idiots that want to bash drivers, and have no intelligent conversation about the sport. 5 (although it should be 6) in 06!

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Vectorfisher

Nascar's good Been to Daytona 500, New Hampshire, Martinsville. Am dying to get to Bristol. #88 and #38 Yates boys Although there performance's as of late have been less than stellar
Vectorfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
basswipe

It'll be here before you know it!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
luds
Night Stalker

Daytona?

Anyone care to make a prediction for Daytona. I have a hard time choosing anyone but Stewart. Johnson's my driver but I've seen him spin out or wreck someone else on the last few laps too many times at plate tracks. I hope the DEI and Childress cars are able to run up front because they make the plate tracks alot more interesting.

Any former weekend thunder fans here? I would have to "Thunder Jinx" Greg Biffle for the 500. The last Subway commercial with the "fresh toasted sandwiches" is a little to disturbing.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Micheal Waltrip
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
redneck24
WTF

Jeff Gordon

diamondbanger
Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36
Micheal Waltrip
That would be great to see him win in a Bill Davis car.

No thunder jinx?

Old 01-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
Clogston29
xxx

My predictions:

Stewart holds of the Gordon and Harvick for the win (Harvick wins the Busch race though)

Jonhson and Junior both cause big wrecks, Junior being overaggressive, Johnson coming up in front of someone without enough space

Kahne doesn't make it to lap 50

Jarret drives around a half lap down the whole race and ends up in the top 10

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 01-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

JG leads the testing times so far
http://www.nascar.com/news/headlines...eds/index.html
Old 01-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #12
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck24
Jeff Gordon

That team's got the plate tracks figured out.Unless of course Nascar decides on a last minute rules change which is certainly a possibility.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe

That team's got the plate tracks figured out.Unless of course Nascar decides on a last minute rules change which is certainly a possibility.
true. p%3ses me off when Johnson is not able to keep up with him.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #14
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds48
true. p%3ses me off when Johnson is not able to keep up with him.
They do seem to have trouble staying with one another.Nobody other than teammates will draft with the 24 which says alot about him and the team.

Plate racing is one of those deals if you can avoid the big one you got a shot at winning.A perfect example is the 88 winning the fall Terrordega
race.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #15
striperman36
Old Guy

Thumbs down

Take a look at the car of the future on the site! 1.25" plate
I really don't like plate racing, even with the aero package it just is too restricting
Old 01-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #16
redneck24
WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36
Take a look at the car of the future on the site! 1.25" plate
I really don't like plate racing, even with the aero package it just is too restricting
absolutely, it is also very dangerous, regardless of what nascar says. in my opinion, they should let them go, it would be a far better race, just ask bill elliot they say it is for the safety of the fans, one accident back in the day, and now they think everyone that is in the stands is at risk. that stays true at all tracks, anything can happen at any track at any speed! nascar has catered itself to all the jr. loving newbies for the past few years ( not knocking jr., just making a point) and has started the sport into a drain-like whirlpool decline with all these rule changes, and taking racing out of racing if dale sr. was still around, half of this crap wouldnt be happening. i wish the veterans would stand up instead of rolling with this crap, and try to make a change. i know nothing is going to change, nascar has become a huge business just like any other sport, they dont care about the sport anymore, only money. i guess we older fans just have to suck it up and enjoy what it is.

diamondbanger
Old 01-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #17
basswipe

That about sums it up Redneck.

In the 25+ years since I started watching televised races I've seen things change so dramatically.At the two big tracks its gone from wideopen full speed racing,then to the freight-train racing in the early days of plate racing and now to Nascar micro-managing everything the teams can and can't do so that now 43 cars run around a 2.5(.66) mile tracks in a tight little pack awaiting the "big one".

Talledega was specifically built for these guys to turn 200+mph laps. Most of today's fans have never seen a stock car turn a 200+mph lap and for that matter probably didn't even know these cars are capable of those speeds.

That being said if these cars were allowed to run as they did before in the pre-plate days they would go so fast as to be undrivable simply because of the aerodynamics of today's modern body designs.

I too would love to see the restrictor plate go.There must be some type of package that would allow this to happen.There's always been talk of a smaller carb in combination with an aero package/handling setup that would allow these cars to stick to the track and still allow everyone to be competative.

One thing I miss from the old days about racing in general is that some of what is considered cheating today was smart thinking back in the day.When a crew chief could figure out something the other couldn't it was the differance between winning and not winning.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #18
Clogston29
xxx

As someone who's only been following NASCAR for about 4 years, I can tell you that even in that amount of time I have seen a lot of changes that, to me, don't seam to be for the better. They're trying to hard to make a prim and propper, sponsor appealing, non threatening sport out of it in the name of money. Most drivers today are nothing but sponsor suck ups and its gotten to point that it seams more important to have the image that a sponsor wants than being able to drive (Stremme in the Coors Light car for example ). We need some drivers that go against the grain alittle (a few more hillbillies and rednecks woudn't hurt either) and have some personality (I miss Jimmie Spensor) or the sport will continue to get more and more boring until it goes the way of Indy cars. When it gets to the point that there are 43 brian vickers and jimmie johnson types (sorry luds48 but if I hear him thank the employee owners at Lowes one more time . . . ) on the track, I'm done watching. As far as restrictor plates go, why not just make less aerodynamic cars with smaller engines or heavier cars for the current plate races - the trucks don't use plates and they're races are usually good. OK, thats my rant for today.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #19
Vectorfisher

Anyone watching Discovery testing these young guys in the trucks Man I wish I could get a shot at that
Vectorfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:03 AM   #20
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorfisher
Anyone watching Discovery testing these young guys in the trucks Man I wish I could get a shot at that
I was watching it Mon. night.For some of those kids their first time on pavement happens to be a track like Darlington.Man that musta been
frightening!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #21
smitty919

t - 16 days
smitty919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #22
basswipe

The shootout is only 8 days away.And I always take the Thursday before the 500 off to watch the twin 150s since they started televising them live.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #23
smitty919

cant wait
did you go to any races last year?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #24
basswipe

I go to the Sept.Louden race every year for the entire weekend.

I used to go to Daytona every year but quit going in '03 but expenses were high and it kinda started becoming a hassle.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #25
smitty919

cool
i went to dover and lowes in sep last year looking to do the same this year
Old 02-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #26
smitty919

i even got a tire off dale jrs car from the dover race
Old 02-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #27
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishon
cool
i went to dover and lowes in sep last year looking to do the same this year
Dover is a great track to watch a race. I hope to get back there soon. I wish they would take down that bridge/unispan.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #28
Jenn

It is time YET........ I am having NASCAR withdrawls BAD.....

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #29
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn
It is time YET........ I am having NASCAR withdrawls BAD.....
Bud Shootout next Sat.(2/11) at 8pm!