Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 04-24-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Filling 15 yd. dumpsters w/family treasures

It is amazing how much chit that one has laying around being saved for future use when in all actuality it has no future use and needs to be disposed of. Like why on earth did I throw parts of the old treadmill down by the mulch/compost pile and not take it to the recycling center. Same with the rusted 55 gallon drum; assorted size plastic pots that plants you purchase are sold in; remanats of 55 gallon plastic barrells that had been cut up and the remnants just never heaved out; the 15 or so railroad ties that I wish I never bought in the first place; the two or three old screens that once fit screen doors that used to be on the outside of one of three doors leading into the house; numerous old hoses that started leaking long ago; old ford window van seat; old camaro seat that used to be the front passenger seat in my old chevy van; two many sections of chicken wire fence to mention; and also many sections of heavier wire fencing. It is easier to get a dumpster to get rid of the refuse created by having new windows put in. Also getting rid of old kitchen set. Why do we save so much crap that has no use?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer
It is amazing how much chit that one has laying around being saved for future use
Why do we save so much crap that has no use?
I think for people getting up there in age,
it ties them to their youth,
and for some strange reason, they think they are going to get young again !!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
I don't know, but if you could come over and inspire my neighbor to do the same I'd be very happy

I can just see the moment when you look out as his yard, turn to me squinting and say like Brody from Jaws...

"We're going to need a bigger dumpster"

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Squid kids Dad

Trash

My new rule of thumb..If it aint been touched for 2 years its out of here.............Trash it

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Wink

Quote:
Trust me on this one Swimmer, after spending most of the winter cleaning out 35 years of junk from the attic and cellar, i found i needed at least 5 things this spring i threw out. There's some kinda law,as soon as ya throw it out ya need it.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Jenn

Its called "hoarding" and I think most of us do it to some degree. Some are worse than others for sure. I have found that I will glady GIVE items away knowing that they will be used by someone else when I cant find it in myself to THROW it away!Sounds silly but its true. Also we tried the tag sale thing last year and I also found I could easily part with something for 25 cents but couldnt throw it away, KNOWING it still had some good use left to it!

Stupid huh?

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Backbeach Jake

Talking

You should see my collection of still barely useful crap. I could start my own salvage yard. And I know that as soon as I throw it, I will need it. Help!!

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Karl F

support group

Hi, my name is Karl, and I can't throw nuttin' away....

this ia actually after the yard sale and dump runs.....
and there is more, that don't show in the pic..
then theres the shed fullo'crap outside....
and the crap piled behind that...
I'm on step 3 of the 12... and my wifes just as bad, as I...
meybe we could just thrwo each others crap away?
... nooooo wont work... we'd just hoard that stuff too....

Last edited by Karl F; 09-04-2006 at 12:57 PM..
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
Jenn

[QUOTE=Karl F}
meybe we could just thrwo each others crap away?
... nooooo wont work... we'd just hoard that stuff too....[/QUOTE]

FLMAO!!!!!! Karl...you are too much!!!!!

...lets not talk about the shed thing...hubby wants a shed BADLY...I keep telling him we dont need one..(though we really do for the mower, etc.)...but really I fear it will become another "collection" of stuff......

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
CAL
I need spring!

Karl, if you need a hand I'll come down and help you get rid of those rods hangin from the rafters
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #11
gone fishin

A very timely thread for me - I am just starting to chuck stuff away. The local dumpsters are going to get filled up quick! I started with the partialy full cans of paint. Some colors from about 40 + years ago. Rubbish guy won't take em and we have no dump.
I did clear my driveway though - I had a 89 Chev beretta that my wife drove. It had 47K miles on it and I bought it new. It had a rusted through brakeline and other small shtick that I wasn't going to repair at my age. called helping hands and had them tow it away. My XYL was sorry to see it go.

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
"uffah!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL
Karl, if you need a hand I'll come down and help you get rid of those rods hangin from the rafters
CAL, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #13
Vermonter

It does at times seem like everyone falls under the category of "packrattus americanus". I now toss anything that hasnt been touched within 5 years, but like someone else said, due to Murphy's Law it does seem like once you do toss 10 items that have gathered dust for years, within a month either you or another family member then has a use for it.
And if it makes you feel better about filling a dumpster, Im doing a full remodel on a 120 yr old gothic revival house where we have now filled 5 large dumpsters, one of which contained 8.5 tons of plaster.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
smac

It feels good to get rid of stuff doesnt it.

I have a "1yr rule" if I havent used it, its junk or it gets donated /sold.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
Slingah

2 dump runs here this week....spring clean.....the wife pitches everything...good crap too!!....Id be a pack rat if I could.....heave -ho
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #16
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

stuff

Great picture Karl........The yard is all cleaned up. Most of the stuff I had was behind the shed or just in the puckerbrush next to a right of way. Other stuff like hoses that leak, wood that I was saving to build something (important I'm sure) rusted chicken wire fencing, furntiture recently thrown out to make way

Oh ya, Karl, if you need any help with those rods I too would be willing to help you get rid of them.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 04-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
Nebe

YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK IF...........
you judge your net worth by the crap piled up in your yard
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #18
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

SOUTHERN FLAIR

I was starting to look a little like a redneck NEBE. I have few more days with an orange 15 yd. dumpster in the yard or the neighbors are going to start giving me dirty looks. Making a couple of more walks around making sure I get rid of everything. Actually one of my neighbors had a 30' intermodal trailer on the pavement for eight months last year while his house was being done over, so huge ugly things on my dead end street are not new. Trying to get my wife to let go of a few more things.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #19
labrax

My Dad is a 4 star general in the pack-rat army. I call him 'Sanford'. It is actually a problem and some of his brothers and sisters seem to have it as well. They grew-up in a very large family with absolutely no money, so that is what I attribute it to. It drives my mom nuts and it is embarrassing too. The only man that I know that would go to the dump and come back with more stuff. He has a shed so packed with stuff you could not walk into it, the garage is jammed and you have about 30" of floor space to turn around in. Trying to find a tool will drive you out of your mind - and he has a lot of them, but can never readily locate them. I gotta keep a check on myself too, but at least I realize that stuff has to go and do it when I can. If you have not used it in a couple of years then recycle, donate, pitch it. For me the mess weighs on me and gets me stressed out and it feels like a weights lifted when the stuff is gone.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

We moved 5 years ago and we have about 20 plus boxes left that never got unpacked, I keep telling my wife if we didn't need it by now we don't need it, and if we did we bought another one so we should just throw them out. of corse it is never going to happen. and I am not un packing it. before we moved I filled this constrution dumpster about 10 times with 16 yrs. of crap that we saved and it just added up. I used to call it midnight dumpster runs

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote