Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Old lamiglas rod

Recently I came across a 10' foot beach rod that was tied conventional. All the wraps were varnished (not flex coated), so I'm assuming it was tied many years ago. Upon stripping the rod down, I did find a lamiglas label under an old and brittle cork taped handle, but the model number has long worn off. The original rod color, judging by the color preserved under the cork, is a medium amber, (lighter than a lamiglas Ron Arra) and the fiberglass spirals are clearly visible. The rod is also much stiffer than newer 10 foot lami's I have.

Based on this information, does anyone have any idea what model or year this rod is?

Thanks.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
labrax

Mike P. should be able to give you an informed opinion - if he does not respond right away you might PM him.

Sounds like it may be a fiberglass blank - maybe a old 1164 or 1165 that was originally 11'6" long and cut down. Total conjecture on my part - but I have 3 or them and they seem to be very similar to what you describe. Also have two white ones - one 10'2" and the other one closer to 11'. The shorter white one bends pretty good, but does seem to be able to throw 4-5oz.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I think labrax is right on. Light amber could be one of the original S-glass blanks dating back to the early 80s, or it could be an even earlier E-glass "Cutter" or "Supercutter" blank. In any event, it's definitely an 11-6 cut down. Being as stiff as you describe it, I would tend to guess that it's an early 1165 or 1166 blank cut down to 10'.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Thanks labrax and Mike! I should have mentioned that it is definitely fiberglass and has a thicker wall and overall diameter than my othe 10foot lami's. Curious, about when did builders stop using a varnish and switch to flex-coat?

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
labrax

Here is a picture of two of the fiberglass rods that I have - the one with the red and gold wraps is a 1164 or 1165 - Red Top wrapped it in the 60's or 70's I believe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OldFiberglassRods.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	18958

Name:	OldFiberglassRods(3).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	18959
Old 01-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
labrax

Here is another one - probably easier to see the color in these shots - click on it for bigger picture.

Name:	OldFiberglassRods(2).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	18967

Name:	OldFiberglassRods(1).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	18968

Pete
Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Old lamiglass

I took the rod down to CMS this weekend (to pick up some guides, real seat, etc. for it). They think it's and old lamiglas S-glass rod. I cleaned the rod up, and put a thin coat of flex-coat on it. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow and post it.

BTW, since my last post, I came across 2 more blanks (1, 8' and 1, 7') that look virutally identical to the 10' blank. If I can determine that the blanks are quality, they'll make a nice spinning rod for the boat (1st one) or a decent schoolie rod (2nd one)