Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

15 years..slipped thru the cracks!

how could this happen in todays society. %$%$%$%$in electrical contractor should be found and brought up on charges. http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_048002512.html
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Backbeach Jake

The punishment is simple: no power for the contractor for 15 freakin' years. The punishment should equal the crime.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

just absolutely blows my mind that an old lady could live like that for 15 years Fred. sad.

When i went to St Croix and St Thomas after Hugo in 1989 for 2.5 weeks to repair all the critical radio systems it was unreal the damage that was caused. I fell in love with St Croix especially and Denise and i went back for our horneymoon the next year. There were people there that didn't have water or electricity yet from the storm A YEAR later.. the thing that blew all of us away at fema was Senator Hollings back then was cryin about people in North/South Carolina that didn't have electricity for 3 weeks when the storm hit there and screaming for federal aid. all you can do is shake your head.

Good for those people helping out that old lady though
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Raven

Arrow huh?

theres a definite breakdown in communication.....there.... between this little old lady and the rest of the world. it is not just about the
lousy deal she got from a contractor... she was unable to speak up to the right people... family ,friends ,neighbors should have intervened within the first year... imo . no contractor is obligated
to work for free knowing they won't be paid.

During the time of hurricane Andrew , i'm sure contractors were working around the clock to restore power for paying customers. The contractor who didn't finish the Job should have suggested she contact someone
to help her....financially....or checked back later... did she not have a telephone either?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
basswipe

It almost seems unbelievable.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

old people are funny

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Uncle Matt

And I complain when my day su<ks? She's tougher than I could ever be. I hope everything goes full circle for her from here on.

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
FishermanTim

There's also the probability that the contractor got the money up front and just took off without completing what he had been paid for.
There's always the consumer warning going around these parts about those kinds of "fly-by-night" operations. They promise work at a cheap price, get as much money up front, and jump ship when they stop getting money or when another "fish" is hooked and needs to be "reeled" in. Remember the old driveway paving scam?

Unfortunately, the contractor may not be charged because of the statute of liability has probably passed. But that can't prevent the lady from filing a complaint to the BBB.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote