Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Plug Etiquette

Is there any ? How long do you have to wait, after given a plug before listing it on ebay ? Re-Gifting ? or someone gives you a plug and you put it together with another to trade for a Gary2 say .. is that ok .. Commercial plugs anything goes unless its a commercial friend who gave it to you ..ya think .??

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
MAC

Here's my view. I know I'll catch heat but I'm a big boy...

If it were traded for, bought, swapped. Go for it. I've turned a corner from the collector aspect and now feel everything should be fished. Feed em to bass and bluefish. It is a piece of wood with hooks made to do so. I don't hold the sentimental thing like a lot of guys do. That is why on some plugs I'll give them away. (some plugs are too nice to fish and risk losing) I don't have 1 plug in the house now displayed, but do have a couple of hundred in the garage that will be fished.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
If its yours....bought, swapped for or given to you isn't it yours after all?? Do with them as you will I say!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
fishaholic18
Finally

The beauty of a free country is..Do what you want, as long as it's legal. Sell 'em if you want whenever you want, they're yours.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

How could you possibly feel right selling a plug a guy "gave" you? I guess it's more of a personal decision.

Bought plugs and swappers are as good as gold!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Mixed feelings but if someone gives you a plug and tells you to do "this" with it you should do "this". MAC would sometimes come up and say "Fish This" - it got fished, sometimes he'd say use these for the site as you see fit, they went to the site.

As far as flipping plugs up on fleabay? I have some real nice stuff that I've gotten over time but unless I was in financial emergency I could not make myself put it up. 90% will get fished (though as of late I tend to make sure I keep one example from each guy )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
How could you possibly feel right selling a plug a guy "gave" you? I guess it's more of a personal decision.

Bought plugs and swappers are as good as gold!
I share your view as far as anythng given to you. Swapped and bought plugs are fair game.
luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

hmmmmm

if someone gives a plug to you....I would never sell it thats for sure..but everyone's tradeing and swaping

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

A given plug should be kept if it is something of significant value or can't be bought commercially. IF it has to be parted with the guy who gave it should have first shot at it,,,,, It is kinda disrespectful to have someone give you something they want you to keep and fish then the next week put it on ebay for a couple of $$.

Swapped, traded, commercial,,,, Fair Game
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Backbeach Jake

I would sell plugs given to me only if I was in a jamb. Then I'd bless the giver for the help in my prayers.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
eastendlu

Once a plug leaves my hand and goes to a friend its not mine anymore so they can do what they want with it sell it,trade it,fish it or beat it with a hammer.I can always make more and whats the sense in giving something away if your going to be concerned whats going to happen to it.As for time frame of how long to wait before tradeing or selling it imho its not mine anymore so as soon as it hits your hand its none of my business.And if your in a bind and i can help you count me in!My .02
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
Mr. Sandman

What about when you see guys buying retail from someone (who is trying to keep the price reasonable) only to flip them on ebay. He had no intention of ever fishing them, and bought them only to resell.

This is what is going on now with these cowboys, some of the ebay prices are insane. The retailer and the builder will eventually react to this and it will not be good for the guy looking to fish with these.

I don't collect plugs (although my wife would argue that) I fish them. I understand collectors trading and paying 100's for a plug but not fisherment who use them.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Ok .... Some say its cool for person they gave a plug to,,to sell or trade it ..question ???? Do you give them another ??? Not relating any personal experience ... just throwing this out there.. I always expected feed back on a plug ... yea/nea..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 04-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
spence

I think it's clearly crossing the line to sell a plug given for feedback or as a gesture of good will.

Other than that you're pretty much on your own. Although I'd hate to see obviously cheap plugs sold in the community be sucked up by a dealer and flipped.

I still think the Ebay thing with MAC's and Beachmasters is some unknown scam.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

To me it's a respect thing.
I understand how much time and effort goes into making a plug and feel honored if someone gives me one.Some i fish, others i hang.
Having said that, if someone needs $$ and sells a given, i would be happy if it helped in some small way.
Feedback is the greatest, pos or neg, but if i don't get it, i realize people have their favorites to fish. All ok .

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #16
Mr. Sandman

If someone sold a plug that was given to him as a gift or for feedback...I think that is kind of rude. I By selling it you disrespect his gesture of kindness.

Give him another? Hell no! I would ask how they liked that earlier one and did they catch anything with it...watch them squirm a bit and catch them in a lie.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #17
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
Once a plug leaves my hand and goes to a friend its not mine anymore so they can do what they want with it sell it,trade it,fish it or beat it with a hammer.
Exactly.

Stay away from my eels though...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 04-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #18
Woodbuster

I agree that if you give someone a plug, its not yours anymore and the person you gave it to is free to do whatever with it BUT, if they are planning to sell it instead of fish it they should have the guts to tell you up front. (I hope to be good enough some day to have this problem!)
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #19
Flaptail

Thumbs down

ANYTHING I AM GIVEN STAYS WITH ME TILL I CROAK, SELLING SOMETHING SOMEONE TOILED ON ESPECIALLY TO GIVE TO YOU IS DISPICABLE.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
Nebe

If anyone is curious what Nebe would do, simply give me a few plugs, and see.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #21
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Nebe......

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #22
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
ANYTHING I AM GIVEN STAYS WITH ME TILL I CROAK, SELLING SOMETHING SOMEONE TOILED ON ESPECIALLY TO GIVE TO YOU IS DISPICABLE.

I'm in the same boat.

Although I respect anyone's choice to do as they please with an item they own, for me I just value a plug that was given to me FAR more then the $$ I could get for it. I have more then a few one off items that plug builders have given me that would go for frightening numbers on eBay. But they represent something a friend made for me, so there's just no way I could sell them. They may get fished to their death though...

They are gifts from friends and I treat them as such.

I guess it really depends on how the "giving" takes place as well as the nature of the plug. A plug that isn't special in any way is kind of a different game, but if someone built something specific for me (whether it be by request or just as a thank you or a token of friendship) it's either going fishing or it will sit on my mantle on display.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #23
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Any plug I get given to me stays with me, If I buy it I can resell it but it is my choice to do what I like

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #24
thortum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post

DITTO
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #25
STREETFIGHT

short of being in dire straits what kind of sicko would part with a hand built plug????

this whole "flea-bay" thing has me wondering if i should take out a rider with my insurance co. to cover my plugs
STREETFIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #26
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

This stuff always goes way too far... we need a Constitution for crissakes

I'll start with the declaration of Plugdependence..

When in the course of swapping events it bcomes necessary for one builder to dissolve the obligatory bands which have bound plugs gifted, traded and sold that once connected them with his plug bag and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Plugging and of Swappings God entitled them, a decent respect to the opinions of the peanut gallery requires that a trader or seller must declare the causes which impel them to separation.

We hold these plugs to be self evident, that all plugs are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are to be traded or sold for the pursuit of happiness, LARGE or monetary gain- that to secure these rights, flame wars are instigated among men, derriving that their just powers, that don't ammount to a hill of beans, from the consent of the builder. Such consent shall not exist in this our free website where Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness shall prevail form this day forth and that whenever a Falme War shall be deemed destructive of these ends, it is the right of the members (in good standing) to alter or to abolish said flame war and to institute a new Flame War, laying it's foundation on such priciples and organizing its plug bags in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their sealer and epoxy. Prudence, indeed, will change, will dictate that future flame wars over plug sales and trades and should not be changed for light and transient flame wars; and accordingly said plugs should be treated as property owned by the bearer and legal to do with what he pleases.....

Should I go on?

If you have it your possession it's yours to do with what you please, all the plugs I give away I hope that they will be fished, if they're going to hang up, I'd prefer that they are sold maybe the new guy will actually fish them.. However I am guilty of hanging a few plugs... but I even fished my Tadpole... I bet I'm the only one who did that

-Dave

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post

When in the course of swapping events it bcomes necessary for one builder to dissolve the obligatory bands which have bound plugs gifted, traded and sold that once connected them with his plug bag and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Plugging and of Swappings God entitled them, a decent respect to the opinions of the peanut gallery requires that a trader or seller must declare the causes which impel them to separation.

We hold these plugs to be self evident, that all plugs are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are to be traded or sold for the pursuit of happiness, LARGE or monetary gain- that to secure these rights, flame wars are instigated among men, derriving that their just powers, that don't ammount to a hill of beans, from the consent of the builder. Such consent shall not exist in this our free website where Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness shall prevail form this day forth and that whenever a Falme War shall be deemed destructive of these ends, it is the right of the members (in good standing) to alter or to abolish said flame war and to institute a new Flame War, laying it's foundation on such priciples and organizing its plug bags in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their sealer and epoxy. Prudence, indeed, will change, will dictate that future flame wars over plug sales and trades and should not be changed for light and transient flame wars; and accordingly said plugs should be treated as property owned by the bearer and legal to do with what he pleases.....

Should I go on?

If you have it your possession it's yours to do with what you please, all the plugs I give away I hope that they will be fished, if they're going to hang up, I'd prefer that they are sold maybe the new guy will actually fish them.. However I am guilty of hanging a few plugs... but I even fished my Tadpole... I bet I'm the only one who did that

-Dave
What Dave said...

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #28
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post

Should I go on?

-Dave
Well said Dave but I wouldn't want to repeat it.. I think from a legal stand point you are 100% right.. Possession is 90%of the law .. I pose the question to you Dave ... After you spy your "gift plug" on ebay.. Do you give them another ? 1st plug is gone ,,legally sold ,, and tough cookies if you don't like it .. ..what about Morallity..Etiquette.. Manners.. I'm sure its probably legal to have relations with ones sister..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #29
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

You can have my sister, just keep your d**kskinners off my plugs

I think everyone shares the feeling that you don't sell gifts!! it's that simple.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #30
Backbeach Jake

d**kskinners!! Bill, you're a riot!!

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote