Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Berry time

It is the highlight of the growing season for me. Blueberries are just starting to rippen and the pruning is paying off as the berries are large. It looks to be a stellar year as the rain really helps in the size and sweetness. I will probably get a large 30 gal trash barrel full this year from 20 plants. Last year I was lucky to get 2, 5 gallon pails as the winter moths did a number, this year nary a winter moth or gypsy moth. I do need to cut them back pretty good next year as they are well over 6 foot high and are getting hard to put netting over them to protect from the damn cat birds and robins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blu netting.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	22387   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1350.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	22388  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

The black raspberries are in full swing now, I don't bother covering them as the birds need to eat too and it keeps them from the blu berries. 2nd photo is of my thornless blackberries which have a few weeks to go but look to be loaded and well over 10' high. They are a very soft and sweet fruit but don't ship well so if you buy them at the store they are usually not allowed to ripen fully because they need to be firm to ship or result in squashed fruit so they are never as sweet as ones that are left on plant till last possible second. These rarely make it to the fridge as we eat them as we pick em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1344.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	22389   Click image for larger version

Name:	blackberry.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	22390  

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Saltheart

blueberries are super expensive in the grocery stores the last few years. . The backyard berry patch could now be worth a fortune.

i never had much luck with red raspberries but i grow some "royalty Purple" ones that grew like crazy and produce "restaurant" grade berries. I don't exactly know what restaurant grade is but they are big and sweet when they turn from red to purple.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

You got city hands ProfessorM been counting berries all your life!
Nice haul, highlight of our annual trip to Maine is wild blueberries..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Backbeach Jake

Picked wild blueberries last weekend in Truro. Looks like it will be a banner year for beachplums, too. With this rain and heat it's been a very lush year so far. My peach tree bendeth over too. Those are huge berries, Prof.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Wink

Berry nice Prof. M.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
fishsmith
DDG-51

hmmm... I've a few bike trails to hit to get my wild berries, thanks for the reminder.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote