Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
basswipe

Tiverton PAYT

In theory its a great idea but at $2 a bag I think all that Tiverton is encouraging is people to put household garbage in yard waste bags,
bring it to friends houses in other towns,throw it in a dumpster on someone elses premises or simply dump it on the side of the road.

Its pretty obvious that Tiverton's main motive here was a source of revenue and not to encourage recycling.And most of the revenue gained won't be going towards closing the landfill as most of that money will be coming from the feds.

Once again the residents of Tiverton come out on the losing end(remember last years' FTM?).

And the stupid large bags are only 30gal.Won't even fit a standard 39gal outside roughneck garbage can!The only difference between these bags and store bought are price and they have the town's name on it.

The joke is on us once again.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
spence

They say these plans reduce average household trash by 43 percent which I don't quite buy. We already recycle everything we can and still have a lot of trash every week.

As absurd as it sounds, what I see is using normal bags and then squeezing several of them into the town bags on trash day. Especially if inhale some construction waste that needs to go in a heavy bag. Also with a baby we take the crappy trash out of the kitchen quite frequently.

I'm sure well get used to it but this seems like a very expensive and abrupt change.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
basswipe

I'm already stuffing my regular kitchen bags(13gal) into the town bags but they only hold two maybe three if I force it but the town bags aren't all that sturdy.

I have two dogs and a cat and no woods.All their waste goes into a used shopping bag and into the can on a daily basis.

I too already was recycling everything that I could.Recycling makes sense.

What really gets me is the price of the bags.I just don't see how the town can justify $2 for a 30gal plastic garbage bag.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
spence

The price has nothing to do with the bags, it's just back calculated from how much money they think they need to increase the budget buy...I'm sure they will argue it's a tax the consumer controls, but only to a point. We already pay for trash collection so this is a huge additional tax.

I'd prefer they do what my parents town does where you get one barrel per week, then can buy tags to put on additional trash in your own bags.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The price has nothing to do with the bags, it's just back calculated from how much money they think they need to increase the budget buy...I'm sure they will argue it's a tax the consumer controls, but only to a point. We already pay for trash collection so this is a huge additional tax.

I'd prefer they do what my parents town does where you get one barrel per week, then can buy tags to put on additional trash in your own bags.
You got that right.It most certainly is an additional tax.They might argue that its a tax we control but I have to put out at least one bag a week.$104 a year for every household in Tiverton is a nice chunk of change.Realistically anyone with kids will be putting much more than that.Families with kids are be penalized even more so.

We have no control over this other than bitching about it and in this town that doesn't seem to accomplish much.

What your parents town does is a MUCH better way.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled

compactor, compost and recycle

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Realistically anyone with kids will be putting much more than that.Families with kids are be penalized even more so.
I'd much rather my neighbor with 4 kids and 2 dogs to have to pay more for garbage collection than my girlfriend and I. Every week, we have a full barrel of recyclables and half a barrel of garbage. My neighbors put 3 barrels of garbage on the curb every single week and don't recycle a damn thing.

I think the bag or tag method is far better than taxing each household. With a bag or tag method, people pay for what they use and have an incentive to (excuse the cliche) reduce/reuse/recycle.

It doesn't make any sense to me for a widowed grandmother who might have a small shopping bag worth of garbage/week to pay the same amount for trash collection as a family of 6.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Raven

Cool I agree JD

the huge company wm wants you to pay for recycling, waste removal
and A whole slew of stuff (LIKE RENTING THEIR TRASH CAN ON WHEELS)
rather than the PAY AS YOU GO SYSTEM.

HERE
WERE GETTING CHARGED $3.00 BUCKS PER BAG
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I'd much rather my neighbor with 4 kids and 2 dogs to have to pay more for garbage collection than my girlfriend and I. Every week, we have a full barrel of recyclables and half a barrel of garbage. My neighbors put 3 barrels of garbage on the curb every single week and don't recycle a damn thing.

I think the bag or tag method is far better than taxing each household. With a bag or tag method, people pay for what they use and have an incentive to (excuse the cliche) reduce/reuse/recycle.

It doesn't make any sense to me for a widowed grandmother who might have a small shopping bag worth of garbage/week to pay the same amount for trash collection as a family of 6.
You're out of your freakin mind.Its not my fault your neighbors with 4 kids don't recycle.What about those people with kids that do,did you think of them?It would appear you have some lame neighbors,boohoo for you but not my fault.

Your not from Tiverton I see Johnny.Everyone here pays the same for the bags and everyone pays taxes for pickup to begin with.I excuse your cliche because its freakin LAME.Read my and Spence's posts,we we're already recycling!

The very first person to write a letter to the editor in the Sakonnet times was a widowed grandmother.Why should she pay $2 to throw away a half bag a garbage when she already pays outrageous taxes for pickup anyway?!

Please read the goddamn posts before you reply...no one here was saying that people who throw less garbage should pay the same as someone who throws more but that the price of throwing in Tiverton is just way to high.

Please THINK before you speak.Can't stand crusaders like you.Stop replying to threads when you haven't a clue as to what your talking about its getting really freakin old.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Raven

my worms are now eating ALL my card board
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
You're out of your freakin mind.Its not my fault your neighbors with 4 kids don't recycle.What about those people with kids that do,did you think of them?It would appear you have some lame neighbors,boohoo for you but not my fault.

Your not from Tiverton I see Johnny.Everyone here pays the same for the bags and everyone pays taxes for pickup to begin with.I excuse your cliche because its freakin LAME.Read my and Spence's posts,we we're already recycling!

The very first person to write a letter to the editor in the Sakonnet times was a widowed grandmother.Why should she pay $2 to throw away a half bag a garbage when she already pays outrageous taxes for pickup anyway?!

Please read the goddamn posts before you reply...no one here was saying that people who throw less garbage should pay the same as someone who throws more but that the price of throwing in Tiverton is just way to high.

Please THINK before you speak.Can't stand crusaders like you.Stop replying to threads when you haven't a clue as to what your talking about its getting really freakin old.
Wow, someone threw a stick up your rear sideways. But, I just started vacation tonight and leave for Florida tomorrow so I couldn't give a damn.

Btw, this is the second time at least one person has agreed with me while you've gone off the deep end and belligerently disagreed. Cheers!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
basswipe

Quote:
Wow, someone threw a stick up your rear sideways. But, I just started vacation tonight and leave for Florida tomorrow so I couldn't give a damn.

Btw, this is the second time at least one person has agreed with me while you've gone off the deep end and belligerently disagreed. Cheers!
Wow...A.... person agreed with you twice in your life.Not many do.

Have fun sweating your ass off if Fla.If you didn't give a damn then why did you reply.....AGAIN?

Talking about the deep end did you actually read your own response?
Give it up Johnny.Nothing belligerent other than how you perceived it but I do love how you really can't refute or give an intelligent response to your own initial stupid response as to why all of us in Tiverton think their PAYT sucks.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
JohnnyD

Quote:
Wow...A.... person agreed with you twice in your life.Not many do.

Have fun sweating your ass off if Fla.If you didn't give a damn then why did you reply.....AGAIN?

Talking about the deep end did you actually read your own response?
Give it up Johnny.Nothing belligerent other than how you perceived it but I do love how you really can't refute or give an intelligent response to your own initial stupid response as to why all of us in Tiverton think their PAYT sucks.

Cheers
Looking forward to the sun rather than the dreary, rainy weather here. Make sure you keep up that classy classless attitude while I'm gone. I look forward to you continuing to make mountains of molehills anytime I post after I get back.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:

This is the part that is inequitable. Families of four or more paying the same as two or one even. The bags make things ore equitable. Also if one has not been recycling it certainaly forces one to recycle after trash bags and fees are in place. In East Bridgewater, Mass. where I live we started both at approximately the same time. Having started the bags just prior though the town cut down 55 % of the amount of rubbish thrown into the dump every week when we started mandatory recycling. Of the 100 % before recycling that went into the dump only 45 % did after, meaning 55 % went towards recycling. The only problem I see with the cost is that towns cannot add that to the taxes to make it deductible.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
basswipe

Quote:
Looking forward to the sun rather than the dreary, rainy weather here. Make sure you keep up that classy classless attitude while I'm gone. I look forward to you continuing to make mountains of molehills anytime I post after I get back.
You bet Johnny.Have a good time and enjoy all that money that working folks like my family don't have.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
basswipe

I'll never be happy to keep paying for the financial irresponsibility of my town.$2 for A garbage bag is outrageous,that same two bucks gets me the same bag other than color and town name on it for .10cents a bag at BJs.

In the end our garbage won't be picked up without recycling bins present as it was before PAYT.Don't forget we already pay a very hefty tax for pickup,even if you go to the landfill you still pay that tax.

To simplify...Before PAYT I already recycled 100%.Why would I do this you might ask?Two reasons,I believe in recycling and the town won't take your household garbage if the bins ain't there.So why in freakin hells name should any resident pay extra for something they are already doing by default?!Please read last line of second paragraph...reminder we already pay a tax for pickup even if you drop at the landfill.What really bothers me is what people like Johnny just don't get about that?