Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Raven

forclosures up 97%

the news announcers are saying that the stimulus package is going to be
some kind of rescue for all these Americans loosing their homes

they have to be on drugs to believe that ...let alone be saying it....

it's complete plain and simple
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
spence

It might provide a teeny bit of help, but there's a lot of feel good in there as well.

I do agree that the problem is big enough that the Government needs to take some action, although I'm not smart enough on the subject to say exactly what that action shoud be.

I just home the aid goes to those who really need it. There was a lot of mortgage fraud in the past 6 years, and a lot of people borrowing in a very irresponsible manner who should have to own their own problems.

-spence
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
From what I saw on 60 minutes the other night it seems the "lenders" are more at fault than the borrowers! They were giving loans away and not checking financials......just making the deal, making the money and letting the chips fall where they may! Well fall they are!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

The lenders are to blame,,, They were the predators who came up with the loans and sold people on them.... Most don't know much about a mortgages since they rarely go through the process and all they wanted was a big house they were TOLD they could afford.

Now,,, I won't feel bad if one of those Vacation homes on the water goes into foreclosure,,, So lets find one and do some fishing,,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
PaulS

Read an article in the paper about a company that investors use to check loans for fraud, etc. They normally reviewed about 20% of all loans. The company started reporting that the quality of the loans was starting to deteriorate about 2 years ago yet they were ignored.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
MrHunters
What was that!?!

its both the lenders and borrowers fault.

YES the lender should be more thorough in their approval processes but ultimately it falls on the borrower to know what your limits are. We just went through the process about 8 months ago. We were approved for probably 40% more than what we could afford. BUT being the responsible, and nervous first time home buyers, we said that was insane and borrowed what was managable.

I don't understand why people bite off more than they can chew in this situation. Sure there are the lost my job stories but that can't account for 97% of it. I blame uneducated people buying property.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

MrHunters....obiously you did not see 60 Minutes? I agree that many times its a case of default on the borrowers part for one reason or another.......but if you saw this 60 Minutes episode you would see what I saw.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
MrHunters
What was that!?!

BF, I agree with you that the lenders are just throwing money at people, and if they are not checking financials then stupid them....BUT shouldnt you know as an individual or couple how much you make and what you can afford no matter what the bank says?

Too good to be true applies EVERY time in getting a home loan.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Again I refer you to the 60 Minutes episode....I do not have time to hit all the highlites but it was quite telling.

Lenders were simply approving mortgages for any and all comers without so much as checking social security numbers......most of the mortgages were varible rate mortgages and what happened was after a period of time the rates ballooned and many times the mortagages doubled and the borrowers were screwed! Yes the borrowers admitted their negligence but it was the lenders who were most careless in this scenario as they make their money on how many mortgages they sold......they would sell them and the bank that held them would in turn sell them to another mortgage house and so on and so on.....everyone was making money on it without regard for the consequences........so here we are!

It is the job of the lenders to check backgrounds and financials on the potential buyers and they were not doing it!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
MrHunters
What was that!?!

my mortgage has been sold 3 times in 8 months... pretty crazy.

I see your point Larry but I still say we are responsible for our own actions. Why can I, harry home buyer, find enough info around, talk to enough people, take a first time home buyers class, to feel ok about the loan I chose and the next guy blindly walks in and takes out 500K when they know they can't afford it?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Kind of makes you wonder....doesn't it????

Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
MrHunters
What was that!?!

maybe id feel different if i saw 60 minutes.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
The lenders are to blame,,, They were the predators who came up with the loans and sold people on them.... Most don't know much about a mortgages since they rarely go through the process and all they wanted was a big house they were TOLD they could afford.

Now,,, I won't feel bad if one of those Vacation homes on the water goes into foreclosure,,, So lets find one and do some fishing,,,,

I believe a lot of people were convinced they could afford something more. I had several people try that when I was looking in the eighties with low rate with a balloon after 5 years. I didn't do it.

I did refinance in 91 to a 15 year 4.125 2 point mortgage. I am good.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

lender/borrower

Its very difficult blaming the borrower when they looked at it like it was thier only chance ever at having a home of thier own.

The frieking lenders are predators though. Borrowers were fish in a bathtub to them. Phonying up down payments, getting people to go to city hall and pay a fee to register a non-existent in-home business. Lenders will not end up in jail and I think they should.

When the lenders do something so egregious that it throws the whole country into a slide then they should PAY.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Its very difficult blaming the borrower when they looked at it like it was thier only chance ever at having a home of thier own.

when the lenders do something so egregious that it throws the whole country into a slide then they should PAY.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if not pay they should have to offer refinancing thats within the borrower's budget...
and in my case the mortgage broker said don't worry we'll get you refinanced in a few months at a much more affordable rate...

yeah right....

then it got changed to five months, then 6 , and now there's talk of even another rate decrease besides the 3/4 that just got slashed and it still doesn't seem any easier to find refinancing as the economy
just gets worse and worse.... by the day

i am so disgusted with this whole
friggan process...it's beyond words...
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
zacs
D'oh

unfortunately, it became difficult for new borrowers to re-fi due to the falling real estate market. The bank will not finance 100% of the value of the home in a normal mortgage.

so when you financed $240 for your $300K home, which now assesses at $250, you are screwed and can't refinance if you owe a penny more than $200.

is this what is happening to you, Raven?

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #17
Raven

Exclamation zacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacs View Post
unfortunately, it became difficult for new borrowers to re-fi due to the falling real estate market. The bank will not finance 100% of the value of the home in a normal mortgage.

so when you financed $240 for your $300K home, which now assesses at $250, you are screwed and can't refinance if you owe a penny more than $200.

is this what is happening to you, Raven?

different numbers but essentially ........ yes

i'm sooooo close to making this farm run like a cheetah
and if things don't get better soon i'll loose my only opportunity.

if that were to happen.... my life would just end
because it'll surely kill me.....DEAD same as a bullet would.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
spence

I'd think you'd have some leverage if you were doing the re-fi with the same bank and you had a good payment history. It's in their interest to keep your interest payments going! Banks don't want to own houses...

-spence
Old 01-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
different numbers but essentially ........ yes

i'm sooooo close to making this farm run like a cheetah
and if things don't get better soon i'll loose my only opportunity.

if that were to happen.... my life would just end
because it'll surely kill me.....DEAD same as a bullet would.
woh man... take it easy... nothing is that bad. just have a few
Old 01-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
MrHunters
What was that!?!

problem with re fi is the closing costs again. 6 to 10K bleh
Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #21
Raven

Arrow

what i meant was loosing this place now
just before i got my chance to farm it after waiting my whole life

would rip my soul right out of me...

to the point i'd be so destroyed i'd be just a ghost

of my former self....and probably

turn white haired in a month

then i'd have a coronary.

and very true Spence ...................

since the nest EGG has already been spent
on the closing costs to get it.

re: the bank doesnt want to own it....
especially not this place! because of the condition it's in
which is gonna take this imaginative Scottish
ever so determined, bad ass carpenter 20 years
to whip it into shape....
Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #22
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Again I refer you to the 60 Minutes episode....I do not have time to hit all the highlites but it was quite telling.

Lenders were simply approving mortgages for any and all comers without so much as checking social security numbers......most of the mortgages were varible rate mortgages and what happened was after a period of time the rates ballooned and many times the mortagages doubled and the borrowers were screwed! Yes the borrowers admitted their negligence but it was the lenders who were most careless in this scenario as they make their money on how many mortgages they sold......they would sell them and the bank that held them would in turn sell them to another mortgage house and so on and so on.....everyone was making money on it without regard for the consequences........so here we are!

It is the job of the lenders to check backgrounds and financials on the potential buyers and they were not doing it!
And a huge percentage of the borrowers defaulting are in this country illegally. So if the lenders took the time to do a simple credit/background check, they never should have qualified for that mortgage to begin with. Never would have happened a few years ago, but as already stated, the lenders are such a greedy predator type, they'll let anyone borrow.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
And a huge percentage of the borrowers defaulting are in this country illegally.
Really? Everything I've ever seen indicates just the opposite

-spence
Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #24
BigBo

If you say so.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Clammer

All of what said is true ;;
lenders not paying attention // buyers / not knowing what they were getting into >>>>>>>>> but the fraud ..was/is the killer ..

they had/have >.mortgage brokers/ apprasiers & agents that were using different so.called buyers with 100% mortgages selling properties at 2 to 2.5 times what they were worth >>> money going back to the so called buyer .. thet never made a payment . just the 150000 K cash & screwed ;;

there are 966 multi families for sale in Providence right this minute / most are in the battle zone / majority are stripped / 95 % are fireclosures ... ya spend 1/2 ya day checking these properties for squatters ;;
Sell >> ya I,ve got a couple pending ;

2 family >. 56K
2 3 families 70K each

&&&& the list goes on ;;

but there are some deals & good ones mixed in ;;

Ocean front / the guy paid 1,200000 in june of 2006 >. stayed there without making a payment .. until the end of sept >.. then leased it >.
never made a payment / had a nice summer vacation & then was getting 2222 per month for a winter rental ;;

I have a nother .. nice /r/R / colonial .built in 2006 >> buyer paid 300k .. I,ve got it listed for 235K

I have a log house coming in >. no price yet >> house ,poo, cabana , two shed , 2/garage with a full game room on top >. pool table / bar/ etc .. plus acre,s ;;

had one poor kid that had a 1005 loan .. a 80 & a 20 >>> his girl left him & he couldn,t make the payments ..so he B/B,s to make the 80% payment & fell behind on the 20 % ;;
The 20% lender foreclosed on him >> F #$%^&* kid had no clue >:

&&&&&&&&&&& there is alot more ><><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #26
MrHunters
What was that!?!

those 80 20's are scary deals.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
they had/have >.mortgage brokers/ apprasiers & agents that were using different so.called buyers with 100% mortgages selling properties at 2 to 2.5 times what they were worth >>> money going back to the so called buyer .. thet never made a payment . just the 150000 K cash & screwed
The owner of the house next to my mother in law (Ft. Lauderdale) was indicted for doing this. They had made 10+Million working a racket with some other people in the business.

-spence
Old 01-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
Raven

Angry after reading your post Clammer

it totally justifies what i said origionally

that these news people on TV thinking and or saying

that this refund is gonna bail everyone out is

pure bullsheet it's outragious!!!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #29
Bronko

This is actually really interesting being able to view a cross section of people and see their comments and view their take on the current mortgage situation. It appears the general sentiment is that the fault lies with the mortgage companies, and the borrower gets a pass.

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/1514...subid=10101561

Who is to blame here?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #30
spence

Seems like an isolated case where the buyer was really stupid. Although, it may help to know how any state laws might apply in this situation as I believe they do vary...

But if the seller did knowingly lead them into believing they house was worth 5X what they paid, I'd think there could be room for some potential fraud, even if the buyer was a dope.

Difficult to tell not knowing the entire situation or being a legal expert

-spence