Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Duke41
got gas?

A salute to your mentors.

I think that we would all agree that at one time or another we have been helped by the advice of a mentor. Maybe we did not know when it was happening or even the name of that guy that told you something that brought your skill to another level. Or the guy that said hey buddy try this lure or this bait. I know I have benefited from the advice of some really terrific people. So lets tell our story and salute the guy, the buddy, your dad, this site, whatever and whoever the fishing God that reached down from his high perch and pulled you up by he seat of your pants and helped to make a honest to gawd fisherman out of you.

This is my story. One summer about 6 years ago I was walking around the docks at Rock Harbor on the Cape. I overheard a charter captain telling his mate that the charter was not coming, I asked if he would take me if I paid the rest of the charter. He said "sure thing" off we went. As I got on the boat we chatted and I told him how I fulfilled a life long dream of buying a fishing boat and how I was struggling to catch my first striper. Before we left the dock he gave me a pad of paper and a pen and told me to climb up to the bridge after we left the harbor. I could not believe my luck. As we motored out to his spot he began to tell me about tides, wind, current, methods of fishing, boat speeds for the various trolling lures on and on he went. I took page after page of notes. When we got to the spot and first we fished tube and worm, then umbrella rigs, then jigs. It was awesome. He put me on 5 huge stripers. Honestly I was allowed to reel them in after he found them and his mate who was his grandson hooked them up for me. I became fast friends with his grandson and took him out the next day on my boat for more fun and fishing. In a few hours I learned enough and took enough notes to begin to become a fisherman. That I will never forget. It was the beginning of a life long love of fishing.

In the end I was a nobody, just another pale tourist shuffling around the docks on a nice summer morning. Maybe he could see my desire, maybe he felt sorry for me or maybe he is just one hell of a guy maybe a little of each. But know this Captain Stuart Findlay of The Empress you are the man and I think of what you did for me every time I take a new guy on the boat and put a look what I caught smile in his face. Thanks Captain.

Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
zimmy

that is a cool story

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Adam_777

Cool beans.Is he still chartering ? I need all the help I can get.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote