Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
BILLC

No Metal Lips Yet

Still playing with the metal-less swimmers. Never really been good at following directions, I like to just see what does what. The eely looking one swims really nice, really slow. It will only have a specific time frame to fish. The little swimmer is for my neighbor who is a largemouth fanatic. The big jointed is work in progress and will have a different ass after I tested it today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 034.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	33066

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 035.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	33067
BILLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
PNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLC View Post
Still playing with the metal-less swimmers. Never really been good at following directions, I like to just see what does what.

Then you gotta remember what did what

Plugs Rule
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #3
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNG View Post
Then you gotta remember what did what
ya ... who does that ? ....Hi Bill .. Nice stuff ...
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Interesting. If they swim the way you want, ignore me. I think, however, if you study pictures of other successful commercial lipless swimmers (both salt and fresh water) you will see that they usually have some asymmetry to the face......otherwise the forces from the lower face are offset by the upper face (a common problem with bottle plugs). The Lucky 13, for instance, has a the face centered above the centerline of the plug and the line tie above the centerline as well. Just something to consider. Your enthusiasm and originality are a breath of fresh air. Thanks for showing them.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
PNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Your enthusiasm and originality are a breath of fresh air. Thanks for showing them.
This is Numby's way of asking you on a date

Plugs Rule
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Excellant Bill, keep up the good work and experimenting
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
BILLC

Smile Thanks for Your Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Interesting. If they swim the way you want, ignore me. I think, however, if you study pictures of other successful commercial lipless swimmers (both salt and fresh water) you will see that they usually have some asymmetry to the face......otherwise the forces from the lower face are offset by the upper face (a common problem with bottle plugs). The Lucky 13, for instance, has a the face centered above the centerline of the plug and the line tie above the centerline as well. Just something to consider. Your enthusiasm and originality are a breath of fresh air. Thanks for showing them.
One thing I have noticed is that if I make both the upper and lower lip the same length, I can get two different actions by adjusting the amount of weight. On the ones I make my notch at the center line, I put just a small amount of weight behind the belly hook and then some near the rear, you get a plug that swims with minmal effort on top or just below. If I use three times as much weight I get a plug that will swim in current, tracks true, and so far I cannot make it roll over. When I make the upper portion of the face shorter and the notch above center you get more of a darter action or as they say in the fresh water world a jerk bait.

PNG, I am taking notes as I go along,but I am also just trying to find the limits of not using metal lips.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
PNG

Make a nike, whole lotta lip if you want or a little less to tighten it up

Plugs Rule
Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
BILLC

Maybe when I get a lathe. These are all done with a rasp, sandpaper, drill and hand saw. And spray cans which is easy to tell.