Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Two things.................

I am wondering if there are any sites that provide a library of wrapping patterns that are placed in front of the foregrip. I have only found sites that want you to join, or magazines that want you to subscribe. I don't need another subscription. I look at Clemons' two books and while those designs are attractive they are passe'.

Second, on many manufacturers rods, off the shelf stuff, there are in front the the reel seet and just behind it something that looks like a rod butt, but not as big around. I know the lami rods have these and I was wondering if anyone knew if you could buy them, whatever they are called. Thanks

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Mudhole has the short EVA grips you are talking about. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...EVA-Surf-Grips

Billy 40 on the SOL site sells a book that is supposedly state of the art on decorative wraps (I've not read it). It is called "Decorative Wraps" by Billy Vivona.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Mudhole has the short EVA grips you are talking about. EVA Surf Grips

Billy 40 on the SOL site sells a book that is supposedly state of the art on decorative wraps (I've not read it). It is called "Decorative Wraps" by Billy Vivona.

Thank you, I wasn't sure they were the same thing or not when I saw them a couple of days ago.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Saltheart

The SOL rodboard has its first post sticky and it show a gazzilion different wraps. You have to figure out how to do them but at least you can see a whole bunch of different ones to give you ideas.

After doing many , you can usually figure out how to do them if you have a good picture of the finished product.

Some people like the little eva foam cone behind the reel seat so there hand doesn't have the square end of the reel seat digging into it , especially conventional reel seats. I like to use a dremel and the rod lathe to chamfer the back corner on the conventional reel seats sometimes so the eva is not needed. I don't like the feel of eva when its wet and after it gets slimmy from use.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
The SOL rodboard has its first post sticky and it show a gazzilion different wraps. You have to figure out how to do them but at least you can see a whole bunch of different ones to give you ideas.
Some people like the little eva foam cone behind the reel seat so there hand doesn't have the square end of the reel seat digging into it , especially conventional reel seats. I like to use a dremel and the rod lathe to chamfer the back corner on the conventional reel seats sometimes so the eva is not needed. I don't like the feel of eva when its wet and after it gets slimmy from use.
I have wrapped a number of designs and I was just looking for something out of the ordinary. Saw on a rodcrafters site a brazilian guys work, one in particular, a snakeskin wrap that was awesome.

I ordered some of the evo's but I think I might just use three or four 1/2 burl cork rings fore and aft the grips and shape them on my rod lathe. Bring them down quite a bit and fit them over the cork tape or fit the tape up to it. Thank you

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Second, on many manufacturers rods, off the shelf stuff, there are in front the the reel seet and just behind it something that looks like a rod butt, but not as big around. I know the lami rods have these and I was wondering if anyone knew if you could buy them, whatever they are called. Thanks
I have them in the shop

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Saltheart

I would not put the eva over the cork tape. I would want it epoxies right to th blank. You an tuck the end of the cork under it a little then wrap the cork tape up to the foam. I think if you put the eva over the cork tape the tape may slip around after some time as the cork tape to blank glue gives out do to being wet all the time. Its like the foam will act as a sponge and keep that area damp all the time.

I like cork much better than foam but still don't see why people want that atra build up around the reel seat. ??

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

rodbuildingtutorials.com has a few wrap step by steps. In the thread art section.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
stripermaineiac

There is a book by Clemons called Custom Rod Thread art that has a good selection and recipes also Rodmaker mag has designes in it.One thing I started doing was experimenting by reversing the order on patterens to see how they came out.I did this on some of my own rods only to have people buy them out of my hands. Pool sticks are great to experiment on and golf clubs too. Great side money to to pay for new rods. Doc Ski out in california has a couple Videos too. He was part of Rodcrafters with Clemons back when.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote