Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

Needles & "Lift"

I'm trying to build a needle that noses the surface for the V-wake, but still be slim and reasonably-weighted so it casts well.

I notice the thinner the profile, the harder it is to get it to rise on a slow retrieve. I assume one cause is surface area...Meaning, there's less lift against the water as it's retrieved(?)

Just trying to get some insight as a muddle my way through my first successful* "V-wake needle".

* "Successful" = Approx 7", thin profile, casts well (at least throws farther than a rigged Slug-Go), and "V's" without too much of ass-down attitude. A calm-water plug for night.
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

The more the tail weight (ie the further back the balance point), the steeper its angle of attack and the faster it comes up. The longer the needle the more the surface area and the faster it comes up.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Look at a superstrike needle

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Eric Roach
Big E

Superstrikes won't V when retrieved slowly though, right? Don't they sink?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

I suggest a tail weighted needle,, as previously stated...

The amount of weight would depend on the length of the needle,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

you need to correct your weighting bud.
a needle can go thourh the water horiz and produce that v wake, if you aint getting it it aint right on the weighting. a slow sinker will rise to the top. a floater well will float. they should go through the air on a cast almost with a cork screw type flight. Ya buildem the way ya want to fishem, adjust the position of ya weight an the amount
Master wuz here
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Eric Roach
Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
you need to correct your weighting bud.
a needle can go thourh the water horiz and produce that v wake, if you aint getting it it aint right on the weighting. a slow sinker will rise to the top. a floater well will float. they should go through the air on a cast almost with a cork screw type flight. Ya buildem the way ya want to fishem, adjust the position of ya weight an the amount
Master wuz here
I appreciate the input. The flight description helps a lot.

Back to the lab...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Turn a half a dozen same shape. I'd do 7 inches. Only put one weight in each, on the bottom. Enough weight to make them slow sinkers. Do one 4 inches from nose, one 4-1/2 etc. You will figure out what the weight placement effect is pretty quick.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Roach View Post
I appreciate the input. The flight description helps a lot.

Back to the lab...
Ima give you a hint, once you got the weighting donw, it dont matter what ya kake fer a nerdle, it will werk...............master
hates fishing.........
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
vineyardblues

Ima give you a hint, once you got the weighting donw, it dont matter what ya kake fer a nerdle, it will werk...............master
hates fishing.........

I can see the meds are working again
I drove right past your house last week , I checked the dump also , could not find you any place
VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
DZ

Eric,
One of the better (if not the best) commercial wake producing needles is the Gibbs 1 3/4 ounce model. Check out the weight distribution. Were made from sugar pine.

DZ

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
stripermaineiac

Try a different wood. Boyancy is very important to get what you want not just the weight, Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
Eric Roach
Big E

I appreciate all the responses.

I switched to EW Pine for these slim, short needles; a denser wood wouldn't plane-up at a really slow speed.

Wow, lot to learn.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
stripermaineiac

Think of this. One short heavy weigh at the tail makes a plug cast good.but it will sit tail down and takes a faster retreive to get it on top. Take the same weight and make it longer so that it is now spread out through the center of the plug towards the belly hook and it will change the angle that the plug sits in the water so that it comes up on top easier. Think of how spooks are weighted. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Eric Roach
Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripermaineiac View Post
Think of this. One short heavy weigh at the tail makes a plug cast good.but it will sit tail down and takes a faster retreive to get it on top. Take the same weight and make it longer so that it is now spread out through the center of the plug towards the belly hook and it will change the angle that the plug sits in the water so that it comes up on top easier. Think of how spooks are weighted. Ron
Funny you mentioned that -- I cut the wire off a Gibbs' floater yesterday to see what it had for a tail weight. It was about .3oz, but it was long and narrow.

I have to make a few hardwood lead molds to match this -- using the shorter, heavier tail weights is messing-up the angle of the needle.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

That is why I said look at a superstrike, a very good needle and weighted differently than your typical wooden one. and no, it's not weighted like a gibbs.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
Eric Roach
Big E

All good info -- thank you.