Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

verizon fios

any other fios customers been having insanely slow internet speed over the past 2 weeks. my internet signal is only 2 bars on my mac mini. already tried resetting the modem and clearing cookies/ cache/ etc from the internet.

not sure if this has anything to do with the strike that's going on now. some hackers screwing things up for verizon customers or something.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
iamskippy

Bars having nothing to do with your inet connection from your ISP, other then the fact its the wireless signal from the modem not the actually internet connection. So in short if you have less bars wireless, look environmentally, did you make any changes? new cell phone cordless phone ac? or at the actual router it self, or the wireless card in the unit.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Squid kids Dad

Where I live in Whitman Ma. we wont have to worry about Fios for a while..The so called town farthers had a problem with them trying to reach an agreement and verizon told them to suck off..

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
Bars having nothing to do with your inet connection from your ISP, other then the fact its the wireless signal from the modem not the actually internet connection. So in short if you have less bars wireless, look environmentally, did you make any changes? new cell phone cordless phone ac? or at the actual router it self, or the wireless card in the unit.
i moved the computer desk to another spot in the same room. it's right in front of a supply vent for my central air. farther away from the modem. i can't see how that would affect things.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Nebe

Um.. Move it back and see if your bars return.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Redsoxticket

Check out the wi-fi dipole antenna for broken connection, screwed in securely or laying near the AC cord.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Redsoxticket

Or the electromagnetic waves could be finding their way to the central AC. Now if the AC duct is a steel and grounded it will act as a poor Radio Frequency shield thereby attenuating the signal
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
iamskippy

all the above are correct, its called EMI ( electro magnetic interference ) and that maybe your main cause! AC is notorious for it! think of getting a cell phone call in your car with the radio on you get the popping sound, or speakers in your house, its the same principle.
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote