Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
WESTPORTMAFIA

BASS PRO VS CABELLAS ONLINE PURCHASE

I ordered a new Aqua Vu Micro Camera system tonight. I opened 4 windows on my computer. 2 were to purchase the item. 1 for Cabelas and 1 from Bass Pro. The other 2 windows were to look for coupon codes. Both stores were $299.00. I found 2 coupons for Bass Pro, free shipping and a $10 dollar gift card. They wouldn't take both promo codes for some reason even though it seemed that it was accepting it. Total cost was $336 -$10 gift card including tax. End result was $326 after the gift card. Then Cabelas had 2 codes that worked, but would only accept 1. Free shipping or $20 off. I took the $20 off which was cheaper than free shipping and paid a final total shipped to my house of $298.94. There was no sales tax with Cabelas. Even if I called Bass Pro and they honored the free shipping with the gift card I still would have paid more. Is this like buying smokes online? Why wasn't I charged sales tax with Cabelas? I'm not complaining as it saved me almost $20 bucks. What gives?

Last edited by WESTPORTMAFIA; 12-04-2011 at 11:45 PM..
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

because cabelas doesn't have a store in Ma.

That being said your still required by law to pay the sales tax.

This is all going to change veeeeeeeeery soon. Trust me on this one. And you ain't gonna like it.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

National internet sales tax?
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Joe

Can't see a national sales tax being implemented this close to the election and with a republican majority in the house. Introducing it would be only serve to end your career without the bill getting out of committee.
Interestingly, you know who is really pushing for this in RI? NIROPE - Cardi's Furniture doesn't like people getting furniture online from North Carolina manufacturers.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Don't need a national sales tax, just require companies to collect the current state sales tax irregardless of whether they have a brick&mortar location in a given state.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Piscator

You can always drive to NH

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Don't need a national sales tax, just require companies to collect the current state sales tax irregardless of whether they have a brick&mortar location in a given state.
Simple in theory but logistically very difficult. Taking into consideration additional local and county taxes, there's probably something like hundreds of different sales tax codes (just throwing a number out there) - with additions/adjustments/tax holidays changing every month. It would take a small army of people just to keep up with the changes from week to week. I know you said "collect the current state sales tax" but the problem would then trickle down to the local level.

Forget the business logistics of knowing all the local taxes for a minute, how would states even enforce their collection of taxes from an out-of-state company? If I registered and operated a business out of New Hampshire, the Massachusetts Dept of Revenue doesn't have access to my tax filings or sales reports so they have no idea how much product I sold to residents of Mass. What means of enforcement would Mass have even if they did know my sales numbers? If it goes to the courts, then only the lawyers leave with money.

There are two driving forces behind trying to make online companies collect state income tax - the states who want that money are a small part, the bigger player are the local retail stores. Online stores gain a perceived competitive advantage in Sales Tax places like Taxachusetts because people don't pay their Sales Tax after the fact like they are suppose to and states don't really have a way of forcing you to. So, the states are mad because they aren't getting that Sales Tax and the domestic business are mad because the state's Sales Tax makes their prices 6.25% (or greater) higher than online.

Also, a National Sales Tax on internet purchases doesn't solve the problem either. It would merely step on a state's rights to regulate the tax and put that money that should have gone to the state in Uncle Scam's pocket.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
WESTPORTMAFIA

Thanks guys. I was thinking it might be due to the fact that they didn't have a store in mass but wasn't sure. I'll make sure I pay the State of Mass for my purchase
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Matt D

It pisses me off that BassPro won't let you use a promotional code and a gift card at the same time. It's not like the gift card was purchased with any sort of discount, as they don't let you use a code for gift card purchases either.

So my daughter gives me a $25 gift card for Father's Day, and at least half of it goes to shipping and tax. I straightened her out and told her to just get me a bottle of Crown next time.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Joe

You know if the situation was reversed the Mass Dept of Revenue would surely take care of you.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
Matt D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
You know if the situation was reversed the Mass Dept of Revenue would surely take care of you.
Of course they would. Just like when the voters elected to reduce the income tax back to it's previous 5% rate.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote