Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Bill pay internet Convenience FEE

We already pay $1.30 to renew MA fishing license, etc by internet but now:

Verizon Wireless will soon make some customers pay for the privilege of paying their bills. The nation's largest wireless company is instituting a $2 "convenience charge" for those customers who make one-time bill payments using a debit or credit card, either online or by telephone. The fee will go into effect on Jan. 15. "The fee will help allow us to continue to support these single bill payment options ... and is designed to address costs incurred by us for only those customers who choose to make single bill payments,"

BS

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
BigBo

You're right. It is total BS and it's happening everywhere. Do you pay your taxes online in Brockton Phil? They charge a convenience fee as well. They real convenience is for them. They employ fewer people and then up the fees to the consumers. It's only getting worse as this practice becomes more wide spread.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Do you pay your taxes online in Brockton Phil?
Did it once, now one of the few checks I write & mail. The other (since I usually owe) is the MA state income taxes: I am NOT paying them ~$15 to file electronically. I happily electronically file the Feds with H&R Block software.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
BigBo

They've been conditioning people for years now. Pay online! No stamps, No Post Office! Now that they have everyone conditioned, they're going to start stuffing it up our azzes with fees. And those fees will continue to go up.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
They've been conditioning people for years now. Pay online! No stamps, No Post Office! Now that they have everyone conditioned, they're going to start stuffing it up our azzes with fees. And those fees will continue to go up.
No truer words were ever spoken...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Raven

I use the Bill Payer in my DCU Bank.... all free...

that being SAID ....i fired Verizon (because of their ridiculous charges)except for cell phones (thus far) .....but i refuse to
upgrade to 4G so i can do everything by phone instead of by PC.
personally
i think it's totally Stupid to shrink your monitor down to the size of the palm of your hand and strain your eyes.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
JohnnyD

This is a way for Verizon to get more people onto their Automatic Bill Pay. They are creating incentive.

What pisses me off is my college loans. Even with them on automatic payments, I get a service charge by paying online. I stopped that crap and now have payments setup through my bank.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

Don't forget about the new surcharge for underusing long distance
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
WESTPORTMAFIA

I dumped them a few years ago after my unlimited everything plan was mysteriously changed to a plan that had only a certain amount of minutes so after a month and a half my bill was over 500 bucks. They said I agreed to change my plan which I never did and they wouldn't fix it. It went on my credit but 2 years later I gave them the 100 something bucks and it was done. Instead of fixing the bill and mistake they lost a customer and spent money trying to get me to pay them. End result they lost money and a customer. I couldn't give a crap less about my credit scores dropping in that situation. I couldn't believe how they treated me.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
ecduzitgood
time to go

If they don't charge a fee when you pay by check I suspect the USPS is behind the convenience fee to get more people to use the mail service.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
If they don't charge a fee when you pay by check I suspect the USPS is behind the convenience fee to get more people to use the mail service.
How would USPS force a business to initiate a service fee for online payments so that they get an extra thousand bucks or so total per month from customers that mail their payment?

Even with say 100,000 customers started mailing their checks instead of paying the online fee (or more likely, setting up automatic payments), that's only $50,000/month - pennies compared to how much this would piss off Verizon customers.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
ecduzitgood
time to go

I don't trust anyone. It is a win win situation for both entities which makes me suspicious. I don't think it would take force, perhaps a suggestion between CEO's
Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
JohnnyD

Guess it's a moot point...

Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Guess it's a moot point...

This is further proof that something may have been going on that they didn't want exposed
Old 12-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
This is further proof that something may have been going on that they didn't want exposed
More likely they were hoping they could squeeze people for a buck (or two) but when negative press hit, they changed their minds. Quickly.

I deal with Verizon (unfortunately not Vodafone, I wish) on a very close business relationship and they do listen.

Hanging out with Raven lately?

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote