Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Saltheart

Vega Duplicator 10" vs 24 "

I'm looking at the Vega Duplicator. I am having a hard time deciding between a 24 inch and a 10 inch. There is not a lot of money difference and I'm thinking that the 24 can do 10 inches but the 10 cannot do 24 (genius huh? ) But I am worried about the set up on the 24. Is it harder to set up a long duplicator ve a short? Most of my work would be short but I like the idea of having longer capability. Will a longer one be more difficult to do shorter stuff on like pens or chess pieces?

Does anybody have another duplicator they like that they think is a better choice than a Vega?

Anyway , any info would be appreciated.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Sgt Striper

What lathe are you putting it on? Also setup is the same so not any harder. Only problem with the 24" is the mounting bracket may be in the way when adjusting tailstock for shorter pieces.

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Don't go and buy the carbide insert set up from them. Too expensive. Well worth using and only way to go IMO though. I can get it for you much cheaper. PM me.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

The 10" uses two mounting brackets. I think the 24" uses three. Yourn tail stock will need to be placed between them so you can do short work. I will be in the way if you want to do longer stuff. However, if you set it up so it can be removed quickly you can unscrew the tail stock and remove it.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
pbadad

I have a 10" & 36". the 10" works great for all normal size plugs. When spinning a large maple plug w/10" you will get a little vibrationfrom the dupe. Not a problem with outcome. With the longer version as mentioned before altering the tailstock to place inside mounting brackets to do short pieces is the trick. On my jet the lever removes with the snap ring and slides out of cam. easy & quick. Example of using the bigger dupe & lathe, I have to make a bunch of Belaying pins out of extremely hard Brazillian wood 10" long. I have the dupe set up for baseball bats and wish not to disturb the set up. Tailstock r&r was the best way. If the lathe you have will cut 24", go with the bigger one.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Saltheart

I have a Rikon 12X16 Variable Speed. It goes to 40 inches between centers with a bed extension.

Thanks for the heads up on the carbide cutter for the Vega. PM. Yes they charge a rediculous price for that kit. I also have carbide inserts in my turning tools. They try to get you for $30 for some of them. It reminds me of HP. They all but give away the printers but pork you on the ink cartridges.

Saltheart
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Sgt Striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
I have a Rikon 12X16 Variable Speed. It goes to 40 inches between centers with a bed extension.

Thanks for the heads up on the carbide cutter for the Vega. PM. Yes they charge a rediculous price for that kit. I also have carbide inserts in my turning tools. They try to get you for $30 for some of them. It reminds me of HP. They all but give away the printers but pork you on the ink cartridges.
Very good lathe!! I had the 1014 and it was great, got the Jet 1220 and I wish I had waited for the Rikon 1216 to come out...better motors on the Rikon and very smooth!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Saltheart

I like it! Got it on sale brand new for about $200 below list. The variable speed is a real luxury too!

Saltheart
Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Saltheart

decided to go with the 10 inch. Two reasons. 1 I will be doing over 90% small stuff. 2 I got turned off by the need to unscrew and move the tail stock inside the base to do small stuff if I buy the 24 inch.

For bigger stuff which I think will be few and far between , I'll just do it by hand.

When I get it I'll do some pens to get it working then I hope to do a chess set.

Saltheart
Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Good luck with the duplicator Mike. When you set it up put some collars on the mounting posts. Once you are set tighten the collars. This will allow you to pull the dup off and have it go right back to dead nutz with no problem.
Also besure to get the carbide cutter/holder from Paul. Buy a few extra inserts. Talk to Paul about inserts that are available. You may to need to change a few times while turning a chess set. Inserts that turn right then straight out. Inserts that turn left etc, look at them all.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Saltheart

Thanks for the tips Bill. Its backordered and could be a month before I get it. After I have it in hand I may have more questions about the collars you mention. I may see what you mean after I have it in front of me because I do want to be able to pull it off then remount easily after the initial set up. Some of these pens have just a 1/16th of stock thickness left on them so the setup can't be off by much or there will be trouble.

Saltheart
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
pbadad

The dupe set up laterally is fairly easy. Line up the cutting tip in a lock position and check the line up on the drive point and tail stock point. Vertical adjustment is cutting bit tip slightly under frontdrive and rear tailstock tip. Directions have a complete set up instruction and setting up template. good Luck. PS the collars are the bomb. Let me get a picture up soon.

Billy D.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
pbadad

Picture shows collars on 10' dupe. Thats a stubby template mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duplicator collets.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	53031  

Billy D.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

One other note; besure to mount your tool post base attachment between the mounting straps. This way you can mount the tool post any time the duplicator is removed.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Saltheart

Thanks for the tips. A picture is worth a thousand words on the collars.

Could be even 5 weeks before I get it. Apparently Vega is swamped with orders right now. They are selling like hotcakes.

Saltheart
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Sgt Striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Thanks for the tips. A picture is worth a thousand words on the collars.

Could be even 5 weeks before I get it. Apparently Vega is swamped with orders right now. They are selling like hotcakes.
Tools Plus in Ct!! best price, give them a call, super people!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC2140.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	53038  

Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

You would think that by now Vega would include mounting post collars with the duplicator. When I first did this way back in '05/6 I was thinking how very basic it is.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
pbadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
You would think that by now Vega would include mounting post collars with the duplicator. When I first did this way back in '05/6 I was thinking how very basic it is.
I've talked the "vega" guru @ Vega about many specifics and aspects of set up and use. He answered with more generalities and "should works". So basically get the basic answers and tips then you adapt your own comfort zone. I do not use the spring loaded lever follower. I found it much simpler to regulate the bite pending on the different woods while being in command and not relying on the template being traced with the bit automatically following a cutting. I guess in a perfect situation the spring in use has it uses but once I stopped dealing with the stop collar nuts I just use a lever mounted bolt on top to lock the cut for trimming. Once it's close to the diameter it's unlocked and you follow with a light hand presure until you get to the template design. Remember you always go down hill to avoid dig ins up a ramp. I have learn alot by doing many turnings. I still learn ways to make it better and easier. I say let the wood dictate the speed, depth and pressure you use. Like you know there is a load of experience on this site. We are all glad to help like the advice you give on the rod forum.

Billy D.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #19
Saltheart

Its amazing how a few tips and tricks learned from others can really accelerate your learning curve.

Saltheart
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
Saltheart

Finally got it. While assembling it it became obvious why you want the collars. Where do you buy the collars?

Saltheart
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Mike,
The collars can be ordered at McMaster Carr; 3/4 inch ID.
Shipping will cost more than the collars..... Charleston hooked me up with where to order when I needed them. Be sure to get that carbide set up from Paul.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
Sgt Striper

I found them in a local hardware store! They had them in the drawers with all the nuts, bolts etc. Shaft collar 3/4" I.D......and yes don't forget the carbide cutter set from Paul!!