Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

OUTRAGEOUS!

Get this, I have a story about how bad things are in a similar manner as bloocrabs post about being dead over 35.

A kid at my sons' school brought his Cabelas catalog to school one day and a teacher saw the catalog opened to a page that had guns on it. The teacher SUSPENDED him for that WTF

Get a life teacher, I mean how idiotic and over-reacting is that?
It's not like he was planning on ordering a gun from the catalog or anything, he is in 7th grade and loves fishing. Apparently this teacher must have lived a very sheltered life Oh the horror, a catalog with pictures of real guns and everything

What do you guys think of this?
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
missing link

same thing would of happend in my school, pretty sad isent it.
they would have prob called the cops also.

ive been search, they called me out of class and had my open up the locker and open my backpack, before because i was talking about paintball gun on the school bus back in 6th grade, and someone '' overheard it'' and though i was planning to kill the school???

Jr Link

Last edited by missing link; 03-19-2004 at 08:10 PM..

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
Goose

wow. Thats fin nutts! Part of the reason this problem exists is because of Mass is not a pro gun state. If you go south or mid west states.....guns are what rods are over here. Wally world has them out where people can handle them...opening day of deer season some states close schools ect. ect. We are the real teachers when it comes to gun safty. I plan on introducing guns to my kids when I feel they are responable, even though some disagree but thats my call. Fast cars kill to,,, are they suspending kids for that??? I'll tell ya, I'd be outraged!
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

Slip, That is sad, it's a wonderful world we live in , ain't it johnny"tRB"
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Actually, I think there is no tolerence laws on it, even on stuff like water pistols near a school, because of the problems they are having. More than a few of the teachers are hunters and sportsmen/women but in today's climate, guns & schools are not joking matters...

Is it overreacting? Probably. But its one area (as with drugs) I don't mind they overact...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
Nebe

I think thats bogus and a violation of the students rights.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:02 PM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I don't know John, there is a whole world of difference between a catalog with pictures of their products which happen to be guns, and an actual gun,squirt gun,toy gun, fake gun or any other actual object appearing to be a gun. If the teacher didn't happen to see the book open to a page with a rifle on it by chance then nothing would have happened. I know guns in school is a serious issue but we are talking about a magazine here. It's not like it was a dirty magazine or even a Victorias Secret catalog or something
I think the teacher has no clue and has never even seen a gun in his entire life. Would they suspend a student for having a catalog of some sort that has pictures of knives in it? after all , knives aren't allowed in school either. I tell you, it's nuts. The world is going to hell. I should inquire about this further, I wonder how the NRA would feel about this

What lesson is the kid supposed to learn by being suspended from school for having a Cabelas catalog in school? He doesn't own any guns, just a catalog. He likes fishing, it's a sportsman catalog. What about all the crazy video games kids bring that have all kinds of violence in them? They don't get suspended for those things.

Tony, nothing wrong with introducing your kids to guns when they are ready, nothing wrong with that at all. My kids have been told if they are ever over a friends house and someone pulls out a weapon of any kind to show it off or play with it, that they should leave imediately or call us and we will pick them up and they should wait outside. Guns belong locked up, with the ammo locked up separate. My father belongs to a gun club and when my son is ready, we will take him target practicing also, you never know what kids may be interested in and they may be really good shots too. Not many people can shoot competitively and win on a regular basis, you never know till they try, as long as they want to try.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Slip - I agree, what I'm saying is that with weapons and drugs - those are the two areas I won't get worked up on when they overreact

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
fishaholic18
Finally

I guess they can't teach history. Lots of guns there.
I'm going though the same kind of stupidity with my kids school. They should try talking to the kids to find out if there is a problem before accusing and punishing. I think teachers jump the gun way to quick these days and it's turning the kids off. They should find out more info first and then deal with the real problems. By the way, this is a private school my kids go to, I thought that would elimanate most of the bogus crap... NOT!!

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
Jenn

Quote:
I plan on introducing guns to my kids when I feel they are responable, even though some disagree but thats my call
Goose...as kids we knew what they were, where they were, what they did, how they did it and that they werent for us to touch until we were old enough (if we wanted too )
most people "hide" their guns from their children. Two thumbs up to you for wanting to educate them about guns!
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #11
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Talking

Did somebody say guns?
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #12
Backbeach Jake

I grew up in a home with a gun tradition. When my brothers and I reached about 16 we were considered mature enough to use them unsupervised. No power on Earth could save us if we prooved otherwise. We were taught a few simple rules. All guns are loaded and can never be unloaded, handle them so. Don't point the gun at something that you don't want to shoot. Unless it's a target, don't shoot anything that you don't want to eat. Having said this, what I really don't understand or get is the current trend of punishing kids and adults for something they haven't done or might do. This philosophy is pure BS. Education goes both ways . The teachers could use some ,too. Suspended for a Cabela's catalog! I want my country back!

Last edited by Backbeach Jake; 03-20-2004 at 12:18 AM..
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:25 AM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Yes John, I understand.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishaholic18
They should try talking to the kids to find out if there is a problem before accusing and punishing. I think teachers jump the gun way to quick these days and it's turning the kids off. They should find out more info first and then deal with the real problems.
ABSOLUTELY!

My son just got another detention today himself because at the beginning of science class he and another kid tapped each other on the shoulder with a ruler, so the teacher(she is new) sends both off to the office. I don't understand it myself but I think I have to have a word with this school and clear up some issues.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:15 AM   #14
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Wee that your black pantie pistol pouch.

we use to bring our shotguns to school, then after school go shoot grows out behind that same school..walk through down town with our guns strapped to our sides. Times sure have changed..........I think that catologe should be rolled up an be placed briskly across the back of that teachers head...what a bunch of bs.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 08:41 AM   #15
KLMulder
I fart in your general direction!!!

back in the town I was in in Kansas if you drove thru the high school parking lot in the day you wouls see 30 or 40 shot guns in the back window of the pick up trucks, they let the kids shoot clay after school behind the football field every day. And this was just last year.
KLMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:49 AM   #16
Jenn

wee wees showing pictures now we all gonna get in twouble
Old 03-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #17
fishweewee

Talking

Old 03-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #18
Raven

Angry more than outrageous

whats the difference between opening up an encyclopedia britanica in the library and looking at pictures of say a flintlock rifle used by Daniel Boone and opening the cabelas catalog.
absolutely none. Should we start book burning, editing too?
I say that's a complete over reaction and we have to draw the line somewhere. Now it would be a smart thought for a teacher to notice that and perhaps keep it in mind rather than ignore it
but in all reality there was nothing suggesting a criminal intent.

lastly, when you consider how many people have been killed by cigarettes compared to guns in school you would think possesion of them or being caught smoking them on a school campus would
create a similar hysteria but it doesnt even come close and that just demonstrates that people are falling victem to paranoia.

i think all high school students should all know how to shoot guns safely and they should have school field trips to do just that
supervised by off duty police officers and sportsman so that
there is a quality of dicipline established about them instead of: oh guns!
there is no such thing attitude and we never speak about them.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #19
fishweewee

Talking

Old 03-21-2004, 09:17 AM   #20
fishweewee

Talking

Old 03-21-2004, 09:20 AM   #21
fishweewee

Lightbulb

OH MY GOSH! IT'S AN ASSAULT NAIL GUN! LOOKIT THE SIZE OF THAT MAG! THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW AGAINST THESE THINGS!

Old 03-21-2004, 09:25 AM   #22
fishweewee

Talking

These potato-launchers could be used by terrorists against us. IT'S ALL FUN AND GAMES UNTIL SOME ONE GET HURT FROM LOW-VELOCITY HIGH ELLIPTICAL ORBIT RAW COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES!

Old 03-21-2004, 09:29 AM   #23
fishweewee

Talking

THIS IS SIMPLY OUTRAGEOUS!

A HIGH-CAPACITY MAGAZINE IF I'VE EVER SEEN ONE.

WHAT ON EARTH DO ORDINARY CITIZENS NEED THIS FEEDING DEVICE FOR?

THESE SHOULD BE BANNED!

(Sorry Jenn... I'll have to show you my "fully-automatic assault machine tampon pistol" later)
Old 03-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #24
Jenn

Old 03-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #25
Nebe

wee wee do those have the baby blue delay fuse on them?
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:30 PM   #26
Karl F

Quote:
Originally posted by fishweewee

An original P-town pre-oiler!
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:33 PM   #27
missing link

Old 03-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #28
fishweewee

Lightbulb

Pffft. I hate Berettas. And that looks like a Bushmaster AR-15. No?
Old 03-21-2004, 09:08 PM   #29
missing link

9 mm and m16 ... i have more pics but i dont no if i could post them, not our guns my uncles but we were at his house yesterday

Last edited by missing link; 03-21-2004 at 09:14 PM..

Old 03-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #30
FishermanTim

Now, refresh my memory... Exactly how many HUNTING GUNS have been confiscated in our schools recently?
Other than the "air" pistols and paintball guns, I can't recall Cabela's ever offering 9mm's, Saturday Nite specials, Magnums, Uzis or and machine guns.
I think that the "zero tolerance" rule is referring to the teachers level of common sense (or IQ's). Did they speak WITH the student and find out about the magazine? Did they bother to inquire where he got the book from (so they can charge that person or establishment for child endangerment or other crap like that)? I do agree that there is a conflicting approach that officials have in regards to the violence that children are allowed to be exposed to.
Here's an interesting thought....
Our children are exposed to sex, swearing and violence at such early ages, and then the same society that authorized this exposure has the audacity to turn around and start restricting access to these same experiences. If the children were not allowed exposure to most of the crap on tv these days, they would never know what they had been missing. Guns in school would be a rarity, not commonplace.
Thanks for the rant.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote