Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

scam

Evidently car thief's have a new way of getting your car/truck. They write down your vin # located on the left side of your dash board, take it to a dealer tell them they lost their keys and they cut a new one. Thief goes back to your car opens the door, drives off undamaged car to the chop shop. You can take a 3x5 card and just lay it over the # on the dash so you can remove it if stopped by the police.

I would think the dealer would require registration or license before cutting a key unless they say they're locked in the car.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Evidently car thief's have a new way of getting your car/truck. They write down your vin # located on the left side of your dash board, take it to a dealer tell them they lost their keys and they cut a new one. Thief goes back to your car opens the door, drives off undamaged car to the chop shop. You can take a 3x5 card and just lay it over the # on the dash so you can remove it if stopped by the police.

I would think the dealer would require registration or license before cutting a key unless they say they're locked in the car.
Many newer models require a service appointment to have the car to reprogram the computer anti theft system and to program new key with puter chips built in.

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post

This isn't really that new. Its an old scam that really requires an accomplice who can cuts the keys from the code. Doesn't have to a dealer/employee. Could be locksmith or anyone with stolen codes and a key machine. Its another thing entirely if it is a computor chip key. Ask my brother, squid kids dad, he might no more.

Everyone should cover over the v.i.n. with black electrical tape. Its a good idea. Remove it for an officer if asked. I think JPI's idea is a good one.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
This isn't really that new. Its an old scam that really requires an accomplice who can cuts the keys from the code. Doesn't have to a dealer/employee. Could be locksmith or anyone with stolen codes and a key machine. Its another thing entirely if it is a computor chip key. Ask my brother, squid kids dad, he might no more.

Everyone though should cover over the v.i.n. with black electrical tape. Its a good idea. Remove it for an officer if ask, but other thatn that request I think JPI's idea is a good one.
It has been a while scince I worked at dealers but it used to be that if someone brought in their Registration / Invoice / Insurance policy. Something fantastically legitimate, with their VIN and their name AND we matched it to their driver's license, we'd run the VIN through the mfg's computer system, get the code, and punch out keys. You had to have lots of supporting info for us to do that.

Of course, someone on the inside could certainly do this but I also think that their might be a transaction log these days telling the MFG/Police/Dealer WHO the person was to access that information - hence a trail.

As a side note - this is a reason why you want to keep your password secure - someone could FRAME you if they know your password.

As for the keys with a chip that is an ignition kill, if someone locks their keys in the car, they don't need the chip as a key will get them into the car and to their keys. If they loose the keys, the'd best get a new one before losing the next one (note to self )

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote