Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
BW from AZ

EBAY problems

Earlier this week we received email confirmation for a bunch of stuff we were selling on Ebay. We didn't know anything about it. The wife only buys and the last time was several months ago. Later Ebay suspended our acount for suspious activity. Some one is using our name with a different credit card acount.
Now some one is wanting personal info to verify who we are.
("Your account was suspended under the “Abusing eBay” section of the eBay User Agreement. This section states that eBay may suspend a user’s account if we think that the user is creating problems (legal or otherwise) or acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies.
To have your account considered for reinstatement, please fax us both of the following:
- Completed Request for Reinstatement form (To be processed, the form must include the User ID and email address of the suspended account that you’re appealing, as well as a working phone number.)
 Copy of your driver’s license or other government issued ID with your name and address clearly visible

Also include one of the following:
 Copy of a recent credit card statement (copy of the actual credit card is not acceptable)
 Copy of a recent bank statement
 Copy of a recent utility bill

to an official looking address etc")

Wife says no way shes giving away the stuff they want to an unknown person that emails us supposedly from Ebay.
She told them to cancel her acount but they keep wanting personal info.
What do you think? Got about 9 messages from them so far.
Sorry for the long post.
BW
BW from AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
Clammer

Nope that.s F/U

I,ve been supspended a few times for the same reason // I never faxed anything / nor did I have to provide any of that stuff .. Be careful ><><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
teaser
Wave Jumper

DON"T send anything!!!!!!!

Contact ebay through the security center directly. They will tell you exactly if it was them or not that sent the e-mails, most of the time they are spoof e-mails trying to get your personal info so they can commit identity theft.

Send them the e-mail, I think you're being set up!

Be VERY careful giving out info, if it was ebay then they don't need any info... they already have it!

How was the e-mail addressed? was it Dear Sir or your sign in name or was it you're full name?

Don't wait ... contact ebay security!

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Sounds like a scam,,,, I agree with Teaser,,,, Go to ebay.com and look for their security and report directly to them but ONLY on their AUTHENTIC web page,,, DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THOSE EMAILS....

Good Luck,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

been there ,,, saw my name selling a ducatti motorcycle... Sometimes you'll get emails to update your ebay information.. Looks just like the ebay web site ,, Guess what, it ain't ebay ..Its modern day crimminals wanting to be you for a little while . I check my status by going through My Ebay ... Never open emails ..and I never find a problem .. They're fishing .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Scammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser View Post
Contact ebay through the security center directly. They will tell you exactly if it was them or not that sent the e-mails, most of the time they are spoof e-mails trying to get your personal info so they can commit identity theft.

Send them the e-mail, I think you're being set up!
Exactly - Do Not Send any info unless YOU initiate the dialog with EBAY - so call or email EBAY and start with their fraud department to be sure...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
derf
wishin' i was fishin'

a couple of things i do and it has helped ;
use a separate e-mail just for e-bay , that way if anything comes in on another e-mail account you know it is a scam .
i use 1 credit card for on-line purchases , with a low credit limit, another separate e-mail account for it . same reason as above , avoid scams .
do not link your bank account to paypal or the credit card you use for online purchases ..
works for me , it might help somebody else
derf
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 AM   #9
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

sounds like phishers for sure - those basturds are pretty crafty. forward those emails to- spoof@ebay.com.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Raven

Exclamation two truths

i have never used E-bay.
i will never use E-bay.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
BW from AZ

Just got time to look in and say thanks for the opinions. Showed the wife an she says she will deal with it. So ill wash my hands of it. Its her problem.
7 days till HAPPY WEEK in Hull. Time does NOT fly.
BW from AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
Diamond Tackle

Believe it or not (and it really does belongs in Ripleys) it is probably REAL !!!
I had a similar experiance with PAY PAL. (ebay owned).
They wanted me to fax my PASSPORT to prove I am who I say, JUST to change a credit card on my own acct.( I misplaced the other card, was never even lost) I emailed them no less than 50 times to try to resolve it ANY other way, they refused. They wanted 2 pieces of ID Faxed, one of them had to be a passport or a Pic Driv Lic. Who faxes ID anymore?
F.. that. never used Pay Pal again. They are just beyond stupid.
You are better off opening a new acct.unforunately you have now been victimized 2X. Once by the perp, and now by Ebay who treats you like U did something wrong.

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote